Is Mill Brook Road still open

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
Was thinking of doing Cabot, Bulge, and Horn...going up unknown pond trail. How is the road and the trail? Anyone do it lately? I have a Corolla.

It was fine at the end of September, anyway. Replaced my Corolla with a Prius, which has less clearance, I’m sure.

This says the road is open.

I didn’t even notice a gate. And the road had been extended since the one previous time I had been there, in 1984, when the end of the road was gated.

Last edited:
There used to be a couple of gates before the trail but I think they are left open now, a greater issue might be how much snow is on the road as I doubt it is plowed

If the road is open you will have no problem with your car. The road is in better shape than most paved roads. Only concern would be if there was a small layer of snow/ice as it is mostly uphill.

The last time I was up there I couldn't even *find* the gates that used to be mentioned in the WMG (and closed most of the year). It's an excellent hike in from that side, one of my favorites.

From the parking lot, you have to walk back down the road to the bridge. That’s where the trail begins. It was kind of mushy down low, then climbed steadily.

I had remembered walking through the gate (in 1984) and continuing along the road, so in 2013 I went through the parking lot, across an clear cut, then through some weeds before realizing I was heading the direction opposite to what I should have been.

I don’t know where the path I was following would have led.

Thank you. The rain kept me away yesterday. I hike with my 6 year old and err on the side of caution. Maybe the coming weekend!

In November of 2011 the trailhead was very clearly marked with a sign and kiosk:

Having visited Mill Brook Road a couple of times within the past year, I suspect that there is enough logging activity going on in that area that the road's gate has been removed (as well as due to the camps that are located further up the road). If there is any logging going on this winter the road should be plowed. Calling the local ranger station should confirm how far in you'll be able to drive once winter has arrived in that area.

i did not drive up mill brook road, but was in the vicinity today on nash stream road and at most there was a dusting of snow on that road. as others have said, mill brook road has been in good shape (it even was this past spring before any seasonal repairs) and i don't recall any gates. i believe when i was in there in may there was a "road closed" barricade moved off to the side just past some of the early houses which wouldn't proved too formidable if you felt conditions were ok to drive around it.

bryan