Your Choice for Winter Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitseeker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I searched Views archives for about 30 mins before deciding to make this Q&A post so please do not crucify me if this has been discussed previously.

FWIW here it is...

My friend has just got the bug for winter hiking. He is basically starting from the ground up and I have been able to answer most of his gear questions.

I thought I would consult the vast experience of this hiking community before offering a list of suggestions.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CHOICE FOR WINTER HIKING BOOTS?

I should clarify by saying that this hiker will not be doing any technical ice climbs BUT he has expressed interest in doing some overnight hikes. I know that TimL would not rule out double-plastic boots with that being said.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Z :D

Hi all,

I searched Views archives for about 30 mins before deciding to make this Q&A post so please do not crucify me if this has been discussed previously.

FWIW here it is...

My friend has just got the bug for winter hiking. He is basically starting from the ground up and I have been able to answer most of his gear questions.

I thought I would consult the vast experience of this hiking community before offering a list of suggestions.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CHOICE FOR WINTER HIKING BOOTS?

I should clarify by saying that this hiker will not be doing any technical ice climbs BUT he has expressed interest in doing some overnight hikes. I know that TimL would not rule out double-plastic boots with that being said.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Hi Zac,

We've already had this conversation. ;)

My Merrill Whiteout 8 Waterproof are not bad and I will use another season this year. I will not buy them again. Not as comfortable as I would have liked and a little less insulated than some. Overall, C+/B-

Columbia Bugaboots were very good. As warm as double boots but bulky. Tough to get a G-10 on them. Lasted two good seasons before waterproofing was destroyed. I've winter overnighted with them fine and stayed warm. B/B+

Koflach Arctis Expe plastic double boots are just that, double boots. Very warm. very stiff, very heavy, very expensive, very durable. No grade, class by themselves. I would not suggest this as a first winter boot to anyone, as it's use is primarily limited to more extreme conditions. Nice for overnighting as you can sleep in the inner boot.

I would like to give Columbia Ice Dragon IIs a try myself as I have heard many good reviews from hikers whose opinions I respect. Good timing for this thread.

Thank you Kevin and Scott,

I truly appreciate your input. I will add my Merrel Isotherm 8s to the list. I apologize for not digging deep enough in the archives. I read the "What to put on my feet" thread from start to finish but didn't see 'boots' highlighted more than a few times.

Thank you gentlemen,

Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Without giving you an explicit recommendation, make sure they are large enough for multiple socks, waterproof, high tops (perhaps a personal preference but I think a good idea in Winter), and well insulated. Also, bring the toe warmers for the overnight! :D

Thank you Kevin and Scott,

I truly appreciate your input. I will add my Merrel Isotherm 8s to the list. I apologize for not digging deep enough in the archives. I read the "What to put on my feet" thread from start to finish but didn't see 'boots' highlighted more than a few times.

Thank you gentlemen,

Z

Sure thing. No need to worry about reposting threads that have been discussed in the past. Unless there is a recent one that's hot, I think it's good to open up the discussions again periodically to get input from newer members, or newer input from older members. Gear changes yearly - good that the discussions reflect that as well.

To piggyback Kevin, I cannot speak for their boots, but in general, my experience with Cabelas is that they have high quality gear for a relatively good price when compared to more esteemed brands. I have a 700 weight down parka from them that I got for a song that is excellent quality. I will check out their boots as well.

Thank you Tom and Scott,

This is good information. I also appreciate you, Raven, endorsing the resurrection of an old thread to reflect improvements in gear. Hearing the opinions of new Views members also provides additional insight, as you said.

Thanks all,

Z

Without giving you an explicit recommendation, make sure they are large enough for multiple socks, waterproof, high tops (perhaps a personal preference but I think a good idea in Winter), and well insulated. Also, bring the toe warmers for the overnight! :D
I agree with high tops (ie cover the ankle to slightly higher) and one should expect to use them with high gaiters (or equivalent) to keep snow out.

Fit the boots with your intended sock combination--stuffing extra socks in will just reduce circulation and give you cold feet.

Also if the shoes have a soft toe box, you will need to be careful with snowshoe and crampon straps. Tight straps can reduce circulation and result in cold (or even frostbitten) toes.

FWIW, some people have no need for toe warmers. (I can stand around in camp from stopping to getting into my sleeping bag without getting cold feet when using my leather double boots.)

Doug

I agree with high tops (ie cover the ankle to slightly higher) and one should expect to use them with high gaiters (or equivalent) to keep snow out.

Fit the boots with your intended sock combination--stuffing extra socks in will just reduce circulation and give you cold feet.

Also if the shoes have a soft toe box, you will need to be careful with snowshoe and crampon straps. Tight straps can reduce circulation and result in cold (or even frostbitten) toes.

FWIW, some people have no need for toe warmers. (I can stand around in camp from stopping to getting into my sleeping bag without getting cold feet when using my leather double boots.)

Doug

Hello Doug,

Thank you for your recommendations. I informed my friend of these considerations but cautioned that toe warmers don't work well for everyone. I recall reading your advice regarding the issues with tight straps and constricted blood flow in a previous thread, a very good point indeed.

I have started experimenting with Darntough socks in cold weather due to the close woven fabric and density of the merino wool. this year I hope to use less bulky socks in an effort to minimize sweating. Is there a make and model of boot that you prefer?

Thank you :D

Z

I've been impressed with LL Bean's Wildcat boots. I converted from felts.

By and large, I don't recommend high top boots for winter since nearly always you'll need high gaiters, and that takes care of snow getting into your boots without losing the mobility that a lower (i.e. standard 8" boot) provides Having said that - I'm sure an experienced winter hiker like Tom Rankin has used both boots, and most likely has found high work better for him. But, if you polled experienced winter hikers I think most of us use an 8" boot.

I've been impressed with LL Bean's Wildcat boots. I converted from felts.

That's good to know. I wonder if their 400 grams of Primaloft provides the same level of insulation of 400-gram Thinsulate? Maybe more?

Last edited:
Have had good luck with Rocky Lynx boots, 800 gram insulation...they are a good fit for my MSR snowshoes...also use Garmont 400 gram insulation (could not find a model name on them) which I like to use when I know I will not need snowshoes..a good fit for microspikes and hillsound light crampons....if I had to choose one it would be the Rockys...when these wear out I m getting Kevin's recommended Avalanche from Cabela's....

On the topic of Cabela's winter boots - a couple of years ago I got an excellent deal on a pair of their Snow Runner boots, which also have 400 grams of Thinsulate. I do not recommend them - they are nowhere near as warm as the Avalanche, are much too soft/flexible to provide protection to the sides of your feet and stresses from snowshoe bindings. Plus, the shank (if there is one) isn't firm enough to prevent the soles getting tired from a day on rough terrain, such as above treeline bony footing, hard, icy trails, etc. They are lighter/smaller than the Avalanche, so I use them when cleaning up snow, driving on a very cold day, etc - anything BUT winter hiking. As always, YMMV.

It's true that it's often hard to find threads with the search engine. The subject of winter boots pretty much comes up about this time every year.
There are many favorites, but I've got to say that one boot that comes up every time is Cabella's Avalanche. They are tried and true insulated leather Goretex boots. I've had a pair for at least three years, maybe four. I forget when I got them. I've worn them once or twice a week every week from late fall when the snow arrives until late spring when it's gone. They're warm, solid, very comfortable and they really hold up. They still look almost new. For day hiking there are some boots out there that might be a few ounces lighter but other than that these boots are nearly perfect. For overnights, they do not have removable booties as do the plastic boots. One advantage to that is to be able to put them in your sleeping bag with you to keep them from freezing. The disadvantage of the plastics is that they're heavy, stiff and many feel they are uncomfortable.

La Sportiva Lhotses, way to expensive for your friend, proboly to much boot for some. If your friend thinks double boots are the way to go, check out International Mountain Equipment 's consignment shop, lots of great use boots.

By and large, I don't recommend high top boots for winter since nearly always you'll need high gaiters, and that takes care of snow getting into your boots without losing the mobility that a lower (i.e. standard 8" boot) provides Having said that - I'm sure an experienced winter hiker like Tom Rankin has used both boots, and most likely has found high work better for him. But, if you polled experienced winter hikers I think most of us use an 8" boot.
I do use an 8" Boot. Gaiters are great, and I switch to large gaiters in the winter as well, but gaiters are not 100% water proof, and I prefer a larger boot for Winter wear.

Regarding socks, etc., I wear a liner sock and 2 Smartwool pairs over that, sized appropriately. I agree, too snug is bad, your toes need to have some wiggle room, and you can definitely strap snowshoes or crampons on too tightly.

It's possible that poor choices in the past resulted in my Raynaud's Syndrome, but toe warmers are a must for me now.

Thanks all,

Good Stuff.

I myself prefer 8" boot myself with Outdoor Research Verglas gaiters. The Merrel Isotherm 8 has Thinsulate insulation and has been a decent boot for me overall. Despite being pretty heavy (IMO) it is a flexible boot and has a large rubber upper that works very well with crampons and snowshoes. I did over tighten them once in a pinch and did feel some loss of sensation and blood flow, but a quick adjustment remedied the situation without incident.

Thank you folks. I will have to advise the Cabela's Avalanche and later check them out myself.

Thanks all,

Good Stuff.

I myself prefer 8" boot myself with Outdoor Research Verglas gaiters. The Merrel Isotherm 8 has Thinsulate insulation and has been a decent boot for me overall. Despite being pretty heavy (IMO) it is a flexible boot and has a large rubber upper that works very well with crampons and snowshoes. I did over tighten them once in a pinch and did feel some loss of sensation and blood flow, but a quick adjustment remedied the situation without incident.

Thank you folks. I will have to advise the Cabela's Avalanche and later check them out myself.

Correction. Primaloft 400 grams

I have started experimenting with Darntough socks in cold weather due to the close woven fabric and density of the merino wool. this year I hope to use less bulky socks in an effort to minimize sweating. Is there a make and model of boot that you prefer?
FWIW, I use double Smartwool socks (a light inner and a medium-to-heavy outer). I also wear a thin polyester liner in some boots (if it fits without constricting my foot). I fitted all my boots this way--boots generally fit my feet best with this sock combination.

Unfortunately, my favorite winter boots (Galibier Makalu, double leather (leather outer, felt inner) with a full steel shank) haven't been available for quite a few years. (Chris Bonnington used them on his Everest Southwest Face expedition so I figured they should be warm enough for the Whites... :) ) I used them with rigid 12-point crampons for ice climbing and still use them for hiking. The rigid soles work well on snow, but are a bit awkward to use on a rocky trail surface. They are a bit heavier than most modern boots which slows walking down, but is great for kicking steps in firm snow. As I noted earlier, they are warm enough that I have no problem with cold feet when camping, but I also tend to have warm feet. (They are also warm enough to stand on a small belay ledge for an hour or so... :) ) After the upper is broken in, there is no problem with shin bang (unlike plastic double boots). The boots are fitted with supergaiters.

Doug

Last edited:
I do most of my winter hiking in Asolo FSN 95's (usually available relatively cheaply from Sierra Trading Post), paired with thick wool socks and gaiters. For me, an uninsulated boot with warm socks seems to give the best fit most of the time.
I do own a pair of Bates Tora Bora mountaineering boots, but I only use them for steep climbs where I expect to wear crampons all day. They're warm and rock solid, but quite heavy.