Your Choice for Winter Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried many winter boots and always seem to come back to my Scarpa Alpha's (same as the current Omega). They're 1/2 the weight of my Koflach Degree's (much less than the Arctis Exped, which I think are overkill for the Whites) but still have the insulating capacity and fit like a glove thanks to the Intuition liner. If you can find them used they can be had economically and the liner can be re-molded to your foot, which is what I did. I agree IME has many good choices in their basement and while it doesn't help your for this year, shop the end of winter sales and you'll find more great deals. CL is a good way to find them as well, it's how we found the wife's NIB Koflach Degree's for $100 in her size.

Last edited:
Its highly unlikely that an entry level winter hiker is going to buy the boot that ultimately is going to be the "tight boot" for the long run. IMHO, plastic boots are overkill for NH winter 4ks if the hikers use judgement on weather conditions.For most people, plastic boots reduce the number of miles each day they can comfortably hike as they tend to be uncomfortable. The trade off is softer boots tend to get damp for multiday trips. so a futre decision is the reducing you range on dayhikes worth having multiday capabilities.

I personally use New Balance 1099 boots and they work well for me and Grivel G-10s work well with them.

I am limited on available boot sizes due to extra wide feet and 1099s are available in 4E. Prior to that I used Columbia boots but the width issue limited their use

I wear a pair of Solomon boots, leather lined with a full plastic rand around the bottom, stiff sole. They are step-in crampon compatible. I don't believe they are made any longer. They are not as stiff as plastics, but stiffer than other lined boots.

The boots themselves are waterproof, but uninsulated. I wear VBL socks over my bare feet. The boots have broken in and formed exactly around my foot, making them incredibly comfortable. Even with bare feet, I've never had problems with cold feet due to the VBLs.

If camping, I wear down booties inside mukluks and leave my climbing boots in the tent. Since the boots are dry, they don't ice up and while cold in the morning, a quick blast of a hot water bottle warms them up in a few minutes and they are fine.

I have Keen Revel boots with 400g insulation.
I like them because they are very stable, were the most comfortable boot I tried on, and seemed to be well put together.

They fit into my Atlas 1030 snowshoes just fine. They do have a rounded heel, so I find that feature sometimes requires readjusting of the BD Crampons from time to time... but given how infrequently crampons get used on my hikes, its not an issue (honestly, a person hiking a trail that mandates crampons for any length of time would be a fool to wear a boot as soft and flexible as a Keen revel, IMHO).

The best part is that I think I spent just over $100 on them - they weren't expensive for winter boots.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CHOICE FOR WINTER HIKING BOOTS?

For winter hiking, I prefer a heavy duty single leather boot. I've owned the Vasque Glacier (single leather) and used them for ice climbing in Huntington Ravine as well as climbing routes in the Tetons, Mt. Rainier and up to 17000 ft. in Peru. I also have a pair of Galibier Makalu leather double boots, which are warm but too heavy for simple hiking. Although the liner is removable and you would think that they would be comfortable to wear while sitting around inside a tent, I prefer using my MEC booties around camp. My latest boots are the Salomon SM Lite (single leather) which are just right for winter hiking even when wearing crampons or snowshoes.

I'd recommend trying something like the La Sportiva Makalu or Scarpa SL Active.

For winter hiking, I prefer a heavy duty single leather boot. I've owned the Vasque Glacier (single leather) and used them for ice climbing in Huntington Ravine as well as climbing routes in the Tetons, Mt. Rainier and up to 17000 ft. in Peru. I also have a pair of Galibier Makalu leather double boots, which are warm but too heavy for simple hiking. Although the liner is removable and you would think that they would be comfortable to wear while sitting around inside a tent, I prefer using my MEC booties around camp. My latest boots are the Salomon SM Lite (single leather) which are just right for winter hiking even when wearing crampons or snowshoes.

I'd recommend trying something like the La Sportiva Makalu or Scarpa SL Active.

I own and use the La Sportiva Makalu for some routes I do that have a lot of scree,( mostly out west). I would not recommend this as a winter boot, as they have zero insulation. Just my 2 cents.

Its highly unlikely that an entry level winter hiker is going to buy the boot that ultimately is going to be the "tight boot" for the long run. IMHO, plastic boots are overkill for NH winter 4ks if the hikers use judgement on weather conditions.For most people, plastic boots reduce the number of miles each day they can comfortably hike as they tend to be uncomfortable. The trade off is softer boots tend to get damp for multiday trips. so a futre decision is the reducing you range on dayhikes worth having multiday capabilities.

I personally use New Balance 1099 boots and they work well for me and Grivel G-10s work well with them.

I am limited on available boot sizes due to extra wide feet and 1099s are available in 4E. Prior to that I used Columbia boots but the width issue limited their use

I agree with most of this, especially that it's critical to find a boot in the right size. I also have wide feet. Danner, Montrail and New Balance all have (had ?) wide options.
When I go out in Winter, though, (especially if I know I'll be in snowshoes and/or crampons) I almost always grab my eBay pair of Koflach Degres (double plastics).
They fit me and offer the support, warmth and solid sole for the snowshoes or crampons. People make the mistake of tightening the inner and outer boots.
Unless you're climbing, they should be as loose as possible.

I think you're friend should start with something like the Cabela's recommended and then maybe branch out when needs be.

Oh, and I always carry gaiters but hardly ever feel I need to wear them. Normally the boot and the shell pant work fine.

Last edited:

I think Peakbagger has it.

I would only add 2 additional points.

First, I think of winter gear as a set. Wrong to focus attention and $$s only on the feet. The feet obviously matter. A lot. Maybe the most, I dunno. I remember a sign at IME many years ago from some $750 Everest ready boots with that read, "Only $75 per toe." True, but $750 is a lot of coin and there's sleeping bags and such. An alternative approach is set a dead drop "Heck no, I won't go" temperature that is relatively mild (say, 5F) and set reasonable gear ambitions to achieve that. Once he gets experience at that temp, then he can consider the re-outfit needed to safely go down to the next level. This approach absolutely no kidding means going to the movies instead of the Whites when temperatures plummet though.

Second, when dollars are tight, I cringe at the thought of people spending one trick pony double plastic boots. I think there are 3 alternatives that still allow for recoup of the investment. The first 2 are to get winter boots that can be used for things other than hiking. Boot like those Cabelas are of that ilk (but I'm not sure how deep I would trust the temps). Pac boots like Sorels fit this too, but are clunkier on the trail. Still, lot of hiking's been done in them. The third alternative is insulated gaiters on top of leather 3 season boots (if he has them already). Moutain Tools in CA still makes em.
http://www.mtntools.com/cat/techwear/Gaiters/mountaintoolssupergaiters.htm

Thank you all,

Your advise and experience are much appreciated.

I will be sure to pass on this information and keep a few of these boot recommendations in mind when I replace my current pair.

Thank you very much fellow hikers,

Z :D

First, I think of winter gear as a set. Wrong to focus attention and $$s only on the feet.
I agree completely. I have about 10 pairs of gloves, many shirts, fleeces, jackets, pants, hats, pairs of socks, etc., etc. You pack for the conditions you expect, (and a little worse). If it's not that bad, great, I can de-layer a little. If it's even worse, turn around.

I agree completely. I have about 10 pairs of gloves, many shirts, fleeces, jackets, pants, hats, pairs of socks, etc., etc. You pack for the conditions you expect, (and a little worse). If it's not that bad, great, I can de-layer a little. If it's even worse, turn around.

I completely agree gentlemen.

I provided my friend with a laundry list of items and stressed that regulating heat in the head, hands, and feet is often the best way to appropriately deal with cold conditions. We all have combinations of gear that work best for us. Last winter I refined my gear choices multiple times until I found a baselayer, mid layer, thin shell (micro softshell from Mtn Hardwear), outer layer, snowpants, hats, multiple gloves, and mittens before I finally found what works for me.

That being said, individual preferences and the variations from one person to the next make our choices as diverse as our physical and genetic differences.

I just wanted to provide a myriad of boot options at the moment, but I still think that others will benefit from this information. ;)

Thanks,

Z

I provided my friend with a laundry list of items and stressed that regulating heat in the head, hands, and feet is often the best way to appropriately deal with cold conditions.
Beginners tend to focus on staying warm, but staying cool (ie dissipating excess heat) is just as big an issue. And the colder the temps get, the more important it becomes.

Sweating not only loses moisture which will have to be replaced, but it gets your clothing wet. It becomes a problem when your heat production is reduced (eg by stopping)...
* Moisture in your inner layers is more dangerous than moisture in your outer layers
* Wet clothing is more dangerous at lower temps.

Different people produce different amounts of heat when active--you just have to learn how much your body produces by experience.

Doug

Hello Everyone,

I have been using double plastic Koflach Degre (red boots) for a few years and they are very durable and warm for me.

As a follow up question: What does everyone here prefer to do to keep the boot insulation liners from freezing on multiple day OVERNIGHT winter hikes?

I know the trick of wearing your wet boot liners and socks into your down sleeping bag, which I am not a huge fan of going to sleep with feet feeling wet but it works quite well.
Also I know the trick of using VBL (vapor barrrier liner) socks but they are not the most comfortable once your feet get sweaty and sometimes they slidevaround a little in my boots?

Any other advice or suggestions?

Also, yes I am new to posting here at VFTT (although I have been checking here for random advice for about 2 years now), but I have been all-season hiking and backpacking around New England for years. I finished the 67 4,000 Footers this year and am on #75 of the Hundred Highest I think.

-Nick

As a follow up question: What does everyone here prefer to do to keep the boot insulation liners from freezing on multiple day OVERNIGHT winter hikes?

I didn't think there are many choices and hit on two of them

- dry out the liners out in sleeping bag overnight
- VBL to prevent the liners from getting wet in the first place
- dry out with heat from a camp fire or stove
- place liner in ziplock bag and place in sleeping bag to prevent freezing; the liner will have mositure in the am

I use a VBL [the plastic bags that the morning paper comers in] between liner socks and an insulating sock. A rubber band to keep the VBL from sliding down can be helpful. I bring a few sets of liners and ring out the used liners before they are frozen. I wear the down bootie in camp and that seems to let my feet recovers from the VBLs.

I have thought of placing the liner socks between the pot and cozy but haven't been brave/stupid enough to do it. The ringing out seems to remove most of the moisture.

We all have combinations of gear that work best for us. Last winter I refined my gear choices multiple times until I found a ...before I finally found what works

Z

From the point of view of the "new guy" who has only been winter hiking for 2 years I would agree with this statement. I'm probably worse than most about trying to find the EXACT, PERFECT piece of equipment for what I am doing and make lots of changes until I get it just how I want it. It's really easy to spend a zillion $$$ on stuff and wind up leaving it in the closet because you don't like it or you didn't really need it after all.

To everyone else's point get the basics, go out in reasonable conditions and add or delete items accordingly based on your own personal feedback. This forum provides outstanding info to get started but ultimately it's your opinion that matters most. Your feet will be in the boots, your hands will be in the gloves and you'll be the guy working the snowshoes for miles and miles. The most important thing you need to have is the common sense to realize when you don't have what you should have and call it a day. As you run into more and more conditions you'll learn for yourself that you need "such-and-such" and then you can research what is the best "such-and-such" is for you and you can go buy it. It's like any other activity: once you are doing it for yourself you realize all sorts of things about it that were not mentioned in the book/movie/advice of salesperson in the store. Anyone ever watch Bob Vila change a faucet on "This Old House"? When you changed the faucet for yourself did it go just like the TV show? Of course it didn't. Learn by doing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the shotgun approach of just "getting three of everything" is probably just going to lead to a huge credit card bill. Get the essentials, get out there and experiment, compare your findings with others and make the necessary changes.

I didn't think there are many choices and hit on two of them

- dry out the liners out in sleeping bag overnight
- VBL to prevent the liners from getting wet in the first place
- dry out with heat from a camp fire or stove
- place liner in ziplock bag and place in sleeping bag to prevent freezing; the liner will have mositure in the am

I use a VBL [the plastic bags that the morning paper comers in] between liner socks and an insulating sock. A rubber band to keep the VBL from sliding down can be helpful. I bring a few sets of liners and ring out the used liners before they are frozen. I wear the down bootie in camp and that seems to let my feet recovers from the VBLs.

I have thought of placing the liner socks between the pot and cozy but haven't been brave/stupid enough to do it. The ringing out seems to remove most of the moisture.

This is essentially what I do too.

I know the trick of wearing your wet boot liners and socks into your down sleeping bag, which I am not a huge fan of going to sleep with feet feeling wet but it works quite well.
Also I know the trick of using VBL (vapor barrrier liner) socks but they are not the most comfortable once your feet get sweaty and sometimes they slidevaround a little in my boots?

Any other advice or suggestions?
If the liners and/or socks are damp and you try to sleep in them, you will likely have cold feet. (Constantly wet feet is also a good way to get trench foot too...) Change into dry socks and dry the socks and liners in your sleeping bag near your abdomen.

As for VB socks, some people use them and some don't. If you are having problems with cold feet (while hiking), give them a try. For multi-day hikes they can also help you keep your socks and shoes dry. (Similarly, a VBL in a sleeping bag will reduce the moisture accumulation in the bag.) To operate properly, the VBL should be at the same temp as the skin next to it (ie be next to bare skin). However many use a thin polyester base or liner layer between it and their skin and seem to do ok.

Doug

Answer to the original question.. Same as summer. Bean Crestas with SmartWool socks and thin poly liners. The only thing I change is the height of my gaiters.