footwear for the Osceolas next Sunday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm leading a hike next Sunday and am struggling regarding what to ask participants to wear for footwear.

Last Saturday, a group of us went over the Tripyramids in a range from sneakers to leather boots (my option, which worked just fine) to insulated boots. Folks wore microspikes.

The only problem is that after the precipitation, there may be ice, and the chimney could be icy.

The simple option is to require crampons, and tell people bring whatever footwear they want, which is my inclination.

For the experienced hikers, given the forecast, would you expect people to be in microspikes and muddle through just fine, or would you expect folks to need crampons? I'm really struggling, given it's not quite winter conditions, but not quite not.

I would appreciate you thoughts!

Brian

boots, microspikes and a goat to pull you up the steep part to Osceola

The ground is quite cold. An epic amount of rain is coming tomorrow, followed by a steep temperature decline on Wednesday night. I would be prepared for an epic amount of ice.

I'd say that's pretty logical,

You have the Chimney, the steep part below East Osceola and the open ledge further below which slopes at an odd angle. I'd recommend boots, insulated preferred for boots, maybe wearing traction longer than before so may not be as comfy long term. depending on the amount of ice, Micro's may be pushed beyond their intended limit.

Also Epic ice is not a good base for adding snow, in other locations, I'd expect high or extreme avalanche conditions soon after.

Thank you for the comments. Crampons it is! What they have in between will be up to them. If the forecast holds it looks to be a lovely day.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Brian

Thank you for the comments. Crampons it is! What they have in between will be up to them. If the forecast holds it looks to be a lovely day.

Thank you for your thoughts!

I don't know if requiring crampons is needed. Anyone who knows how to use crampons will know if they need them. I suspect that Microspikes will suffice for most people, but crampons may be better for the two aformentioned sections (since tripoli rd is closed now), but not required. Either way it is a difficult hike.

One thing to keep in mind. Wearing crampons this time of year can be an ankle breaker, not that I wouldn't bring them. This time of year, I bring spikes and crampons, xtra weight yes, but having all the tools and then determining which one is most effective is the way I go this time of year. I would guess with the volume of H2O we are getting and the incoming cold air, it will be an icefest for sure. Be carefull on the Chimney it could be quite the challenge giving the conditions.

We did the Osceolas yesterday and you need something more than microspikes. Giant rippled blue ice flows encompass the trail in a number of locations, some steep, and also the open stretch of slide. Microspikes are not adequate for this kind of ice, they just don't have enough grip. The Hillsound Trail Crampon PRO (the one that looks like a real lightweight crampon) is the minimum necessary gear. You cannot have any twisting under foot like the little-chain-based devices use, and you need the longer rigid points, to get bite.

Microspikes were fine, however, and actually preferred from the car to the Greeley/Osceola junction.

Pet peeve: trail reports that just say "Hillsounds" but not which kind. The regular trail crampon would not have done it yesterday.

No problems on the chimney bypass. A mix of rock and blue ice but easy up and down (with appropriate traction).