Kahtoola versus Hillsounds

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavaFalls

Reaction score
Anyone see/use the Trailsound crampons? Saw them on the AMC webpage. They look like heavy duty version of the kahtola micro spikes.Apologize for any incorrect spellings.

Lavafalls

Hillsound makes great product but there naming nomenclature is difficult. I have used the Trail Crampon for two season and is an upgrade IMHO of a Kahtoola microspike (welded instead of crimped loops, spike plates and Velcro strap). They also offer an XL size that fits very large winter boots. They now make a lookalike to the Kahtoola microspikes called Freesteps6 that appear to be lower price. Other folks have said good things about the trail crampon pro which seems to be a nice upgrade and all you would need for typical 4 k routes.

I haven't seen any significant durability issues reported. I had a failure early on due to their sizing begin off, they sent me a new pair right away of the proper size.

They don't seem to be stocked at local stores as frequently but worth finding.

I have both the Kahtoola microspikes and the Hillsounds. I like the Hillsounds better as their spikes are slightly longer, and have a better heelplate. If you're going to slip, it's on the descent, and that's when a better heelplate is important. Hillsounds also have a strap over the instep. Adding a similar one to the Kathoola's would be easy.

I also use Hillsound Pros - these are definitely in the crampon category, but much less aggressive than the more conventional crampon, such as the Grivel G10 or BD Contact Straps. The Pro's use a 10-point system, with a length about halfway between the microspikes and the crampons mentioned above. They also cost about 1/2 of what the Grivel & BD's do.

http://hillsound.com/hillsound-product/trail-crampon-pro/

I believe you can now buy the Hillsounds (both models) at EMS, and the microspike version thru AMC.

FWIW - if you eyeball what the "hardcore" winter hikers use, like gridiots, mostly they use Hillsounds.

Last edited:
Recognizing it might be apples and oranges, here's what I switched to a couple of winters ago. From older, much heavier, SMC crampons.
http://kahtoola.com/product/kts-steel-hiking-crampon/

Light weight, goes onto boots in a few seconds each - just shove the toe into the nylon cage, pull up the heel and 'click'.
These come in a slightly less expensive aluminum version that weighs a few ounces less, and a product similar to the Hillsounds.

I like how these crampons slide down to a small, compact size when not on the boot and the excellent customer service Kahtoola offers.

Used microspikes for several years when they came out and was satisfied, but switched to Hillsound Trail Crampon a couple years ago and found them to be far superior for all the reasons cited above. Also appears that Kahtoola has raised their prices. EMS now selling Kahtoola for $64.95 up $5.00 over last year (non sale price). Have seen Hillsounds for $59.95 still (non sale).

I think I'm in my fourth season with Microspikes (on my third pair, not due to failure but wearing down of the points). The answer to the original question is not what has the most traction (longer spikes), but what suits your hiking style and terrain. If you just want more traction, get longer points, but be aware of the trade offs. If you want good traction but are willing to forgo some traction for speed, then Microspikes may be for you. I like the faster descent and control I get with Microspikes and I am concerned that with longer points I would have problem with dragging, snagging and tripping--as with conventional crampons. I don't mind needing to use better technique to get traction when ascending or descending, so the shorter spikes are my choice. I know when Microspikes are not adequate, and that is when I put on my old faithful Grivel G-10s.

I think I'm in my fourth season with Microspikes (on my third pair, not due to failure but wearing down of the points). The answer to the original question is not what has the most traction (longer spikes), but what suits your hiking style and terrain. If you just want more traction, get longer points, but be aware of the trade offs. If you want good traction but are willing to forgo some traction for speed, then Microspikes may be for you. I like the faster descent and control I get with Microspikes and I am concerned that with longer points I would have problem with dragging, snagging and tripping--as with conventional crampons. I don't mind needing to use better technique to get traction when ascending or descending, so the shorter spikes are my choice. I know when Microspikes are not adequate, and that is when I put on my old faithful Grivel G-10s.

I have to third this opinion as well. I've use microspikes for three seasons or so, maybe four. Never used Hillsounds, but I've felt between snowshoes, G-10s, and microspikes, I can handle any snow conditions on trails in the Whites very comfortably.

If I wanted something in between a G-10 and a microspike, I might go with the Hillsounds with a mid-length spike, but my concern is that they would not be adequate where crampons are needed and would be less useful on mixed conditions (w dry trail) than microspikes. I can't envision needing them with the other two options, however, if I were a new winter trail hiker, I might try them for their versatility if I had only one thing to purchase. I like that microspikes give a little on the descent. They slide somewhat but this eases the force on your legs coming down much like glissading in snowshoes.

10 years ago, my only options were snowshoes, G-10s, or bare boots. Hillsounds and microspikes both try to fill the crack between bare boot and crampon and both are improvements over bare boots.

I have the Hillsound Trail Crampons which are heavier duty "microspike" with longer spikes and a velcro strap for retention.

timthumb.php

I find these far superior to the Kahtolas due to the longer "spike" Length. And are on sale at EMS for $47.96

I also picked up a pair of the Hillsound Trail Crampon Pros as $19 returns at EMS. These will cut through most trail ice found in NE outside of technical climbs.

timthumb.php
These are currently $63.20.

These, the Katooluh mini crampons are what I use for the hard blue trail ice and they worked well on ice and frozen granular yesterday. Also have the g-10 cause..that is what is best sometimes. I like the way the katoolah ones go on quickly and cinch up well. Tried the aluminum ones they offer but they dulled out pretty quickly. There is a reason the katoolah ones cost more..IMO better stuff.

The Hillsound ones pictured above looked great but after a couple of times flying off my feet I opted for something else..might work better on smaller firmer boots than what I wear. The person I gave these too likes them

Have 2 current pair of Katoolah microspikes..one rounded..one brand new..might have those for the Hancocks today. I found that the hillsound version of the microspikes are cheaper but did not fare as well as the katoolah version as they twisted on feet constantly despite trying a different size..softer rubber i think..might be ok for lake walking

A lot of folks use the hillsound version of mini cramps mini trail pro..I did not care for them as microspikes work better I think on mixed terrain . The points on the hillsounds a little longer than they need to be for "trails" and lots of stuff you would just walk on with microspikes you would take the hillsounds off as they would be ankle twisters. That being said i do not think the trail pros are adequate replacement where actually crampons are neede

Frankly..cant wait for some nice packed out snow where the MSR evo ascents have traction needed for almost everything
Recognizing it might be apples and oranges, here's what I switched to a couple of winters ago. From older, much heavier, SMC crampons.
http://kahtoola.com/product/kts-steel-hiking-crampon/

Light weight, goes onto boots in a few seconds each - just shove the toe into the nylon cage, pull up the heel and 'click'.
These come in a slightly less expensive aluminum version that weighs a few ounces less, and a product similar to the Hillsounds.

I like how these crampons slide down to a small, compact size when not on the boot and the excellent customer service Kahtoola offers.

Last edited:
The Trail Crampon PRO rocked my world yesterday on solid rippled ice on the Osceolas yesterday. Microspikes were not adequate and I suspect the Trail Crampon would not have fared any better. A rigid frame pushing longer rigid spikes into the ice was absolutely required.

Pet peeve: condition reports or trail discussions that just say "Hillsounds" and not which kind.

I did Kearsage North yesterday. The open ledges and summit cone was a solid ice flow in spots getting almost steady about 100 yards before the last switchback. I had my Kahtoolas which worked but I was I had my Hillsound trail crampons as the Kahtoolas just didnt have enough bite. In spots regular crampons would have been the choice. I encountered several folks with the Hillsounds and they definitely had the advantage.