moose mountain 12/1/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 12/1/13

trails: former ski area access road, snowmobile trail, bushwhack, old ski trail

conditions: i parked at the moose mountain recreation area off of moose mountain road in brookfield. i started the hike up what i assume is the old access road that parallels the ski slopes to the west. the road climbed steadily becoming with a coating of snow underfoot before some significant flows of ice began to appear. this road led to the top of the old ski area. from there another road continued up the mountain with more ice and rough footing eventually crossing over a northeastern shoulder of the mountain. the impression i get is that this road is a snowmobile route in winter and probably used by atvs in summer. it eventually continues down to new portsmouth road in middleton according to a hunter i met today. from the roads height of land i followed an old log road towards the highpoint, about .5 miles away from that point, until it petered out. from there it was a bushwhack through mostly open woods and over a couple false bumps with some scrappy young hardwood sections. this whole area clearly shows signs of previous logging. the final pitch up to the highpoint was impressivley steep with icy ledges and cliffs that pushed me south to find a way around them. as best i could tell the summit is in a small clearing and a bit to the south there were some open ledges that would likely have a nice directional view on a clear day. i roughly retraced my steps back to the trail and then to the top of the ski area. i opted to head straight down the old lift line which worked out ok. some slippery footing and a worn herd path most of the way.

equipment: blaze orange highly recommended.

comments: nice hike. a solid grind up to the top of the old ski area then a mellower hike up to the height of land. the mountain earned its name as i saw a fair amount of moose sign as well a a partial skeleton once off the trail heading to the summit. bumped into one of the hunters in the area on the way back to the trail and had a nice conversation about the area. another hike that will need to be repeated on a clear day to take in the views. great to be out.

bryan

[email protected]