Little Spencer Mountain: A Moosehead Lake Gem 11.30.13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat32

Reaction score
The mountains of the Mooshead Lake region are overlooked by many hikers. That's good for me because I get them to myself. The area is remote and getting to the trailhead is half the battle, especially if you aren't familiar with the area. One of the best in the region and finest views in Maine is Little Spencer Mtn. Little Spencer is probably the hardest hike in the Moosehead Lake area. Only 4 miles roundtrip but steep with lots of boulder field traverses, cliffs, and a rock chimney with a fixed rope.
I got in one last hike before the snow blocked the logging roads in the region until May mud season ends.
Only a dusting of snow was on the ground but the ice was treacherous at places, particularly the chimney.

I have a thorough report and lots of pics including some snow capped Katahdin shots from this hike at my blog
http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2013/12/an-icy-climb-of-little-spencer-mountain.html

I almost bailed at the chimney. I was by myself and couldn't find a safer bypass. I passed through it in wintry conditions but never after so much rain so I was a little surprised by how much ice.

My first association with Little Spencer Mountain was in the mid 1980s because it was on the New England 3000 footer list, but very impressed with the spectacular(!) views and rock scrambling challenges. At the time it was just a red tape flagged herd path that a local camp used to entertain their summer guests. Over the next 6 years or so, I organized (3) trail work outings to fully side cut the brush and remove blow downs as needed. It's been years since my last visit. What condition is the trail in now? Is there still a trail sign at the entrance?

When I climbd Little Spencer with "Big Spencer"

In August of 2005 I had the pleasure of climbing this peak with my friend Spencer Meyer. The trail was fine (except for too much old flagging) and the summer chimney was fun unlike during wet or cold conditions.

Here's my favorite picture from that trip:

aax.sized.jpg

That's Spencer looking across Spencer Lake (Moosehead is beyond) from the top of Little Spencer.

And here's Big Spencer from Little Spencer:

aaw.sized.jpg

Here's a report Little Spencer - Aug. 7, 2005.

We also climbed the 3 Bakers (whacks) and Big Spencer that trip. No, this was not the time we were stuck in the mud.

Makes me feel all nostalgic, the days when I was pursuing the NE Fifty Finest. Now it seems all I do is train for (and run) Boston (this year I get a do-over after last year's horrific experience).

Last edited:
I did Big Spencer about 15 years ago and it was awesome. Thanks for the report.

The trail is in decent shape. It does have a few minor blowdowns, but they are easy to pass. A few of the slides, particularly in the snow are a little difficult to tell where the trail goes. A few pieces of flagging still guide the way. The trail isn't really overgrown. I'm not sure who maintains the trail, perhaps the Spencer Bay Camps? I know the state maintains Big Spencer, it is Maine Reserve Land. The entrance is marked with a few pieces of flagging, if you weren't looking for the trailhead, you probably wouldn't notice it. A very worn sign says Little Spencer 3040' but you almost have to look for it, it is so faded. There is a newer sign maybe 100' down the trail that is plastic explaining the route and history.