To build (or not to build) a fire: winter survival

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One technique that has not been mentioned for recovery from immersion is to roll in the snow before the water gets a chance to freeze in one's clothing. Snow is a sponge and will extract some water from the clothing before it freezes.

I tried it, results not impressive. I plunged knee deep into water headed to an ice climb. Took off boots, scrubbed socks in snow, the whole thing. It probably worked but my feet were fully wet, cold and miserable through the day.

Also, last winter I took up nordic skating and falling in seems to be a real concern. Fire building skills could be a life saver in that sport.

I tried it, results not impressive. I plunged knee deep into water headed to an ice climb. Took off boots, scrubbed socks in snow, the whole thing. It probably worked but my feet were fully wet, cold and miserable through the day.
Oh well, the claim is only that it will remove some of the water... :(

I think the tactic is aimed at wet outer clothing which will then freeze into a suit of armor.

Thanks for the datapoint.

I once put a foot in over the top of my leather ski boot, but a tight gaiter limited the amount of water that got in and I was able to continue without doing anything. I also carry a spare set of socks.

Also, last winter I took up nordic skating and falling in seems to be a real concern. Fire building skills could be a life saver in that sport.
A dry suit and a life preserver could help too...

Doug

I am pretty sure I've seen Bear Grylls demonstrate this technique (rolling in the snow and brushing it off), shirtless if memory serves. Doesn't mean it's effective or accurate of course.

Tim

I recall in WFA (for what it's worth) they expressly recommended AGAINST rolling in the snow. I have no experience with it, but they said little or no water is actually removed, you're rapidly cooling the water next to your skin, and you're taking time away from what you really need to do in order to survive. But if Bear Grylls said to do it... :)

A dry suit and a life preserver could help too...
When I was island peakbagging over the ice I wore a vest type life jacket instead of a regular insulated vest, fortunately never needed it

Most of the times I have fallen thru ice were on canoe trips, when I was already wearing a life jacket and perhaps a scuba suit, but quickly shifting your weight over the canoe you are dragging is the best solution

Most of the times I have fallen thru ice were on canoe trips, when I was already wearing a life jacket and perhaps a scuba suit, but quickly shifting your weight over the canoe you are dragging is the best solution
I can recall playing ice-breaker with our canoes when white water boating on a cold day (or at least after a cold night). Of course we were wearing wet suits and life preservers so falling in the water would not have been a big deal.

Doug

Rolling in snow works well for removing surface water off your clothes before it soaks in. It is important to do it immediately. I have used this technique several times when the snow is light and fluffy and I punch my lower leg into water. No rolling just handfuls of snow tossed on my leg and brushed off