Crevasse Fall - don't worry dude, I'll catch you.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, great video! Sobering. I wonder how much rope there is between the dude jumping in and the dude trying to arrest? Looks a bit short, but it's hard to tell. Also, the total free fall is a worst-case scenario. More likely to punch through first (with some loss of energy) before going all the way in. Still, better know what you're doing if you're a rope team of 2.

Looks like they're all practicing with their crampons on, too. Don't try that at home, kids!

And most of those it looks like the self-arrest didn't actually stop the fall, it was the back-up anchor.... Of course, that may have been the point they were trying to make.

I believe that is the point they are making. Definitely minimize slack during glacier travel. Also, standard glacier party is 3; having a second person on self arrest would probably increase the chances of a successful "catch." Also, looks like a lot of powder snow on the surace, which makes arrest more difficult; teams need to consider conditions and adapt techniques accordingly. Good demo reel!