Mount Madison via Valley Way and Osgood Trail (7 December 2013)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Trail Conditions:

Valley Way: About 5 blow downs between Brookbank Trail junction (0.8) and Watson Path junction (2.4): a go-around, a go-through, and three step-overs. I barebooted until close to Valley Way Tentsite but could have used traction much sooner. Still enough rock tops poking through. Mostly rock down low, mixed rock and ice in middle section w a couple ice flows (usual spots) that require care, and more ice near the hut w some crusty snow as well which was the easiest walking of the day just below tree line. Lots of bare rock on Osgood Trail to summit but I used microspikes anyway.

Special Equipment: cold and wind gear. Summit was single digits with wind knocking me around when not on the protected side of the summit. Goggles were worn on summit cone and full wind protection but never put my face mask on, although I was 90% covered without. I used microspikes for the upper mile of the hike and for half of the descent before removing. G-10s stayed in pack but happy to have them.

Comments: another day without seeing a soul until halfway out when I passed two hikers on their way up. Socked in, windy, snowing lightly, and cold above tree line. 10 degrees at hut. Single digits above. I would estimate I was feeling maybe 50 mph gusts which we're bouncing me around good enough. They were getting stronger through the day. A couple beautiful breaks in the clouds revealed quick bursts of the Carters or a glance at Durand Ridge. Another great day in the Pressies.