Well so much for barebooting some early winter 4Ks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, the recent weather and the overnight snow is starting to remind me of the winters when I first moved to the region. Unfortunately, in recent years, about 2 years in three, we would not have a significant snowpack until late January and atypically warm weather at the start of winter. I personally took advantage of one of those years when doing my winter list. We did Pinkham to Crawford via Washington and barebooted the entire trip on the second day of winter. A few days later we dayhiked Bondcliff from Lincoln Woods bareboot and came out in drizzle and for New Years we drove up Jefferson Notch road and hiked Jefferson via Caps Ridge. More recently, I did two New Years Day hikes in a row in fall hiking gear. Dare we hope for a more traditional winter this year? Of course the down side is my snowplowing bill is going to be higher this year :eek:

By the way in Gorham at mid Sunday morning, I have about 8" of snow on the ground.

Break out the snowshoes and skis! :)

Just got back inside from shoveling... Over a foot in Danville, Vermont (Northeast Kingdom).

Woo-Hooo!

I for one am excited to break out the snowshoes. It is debatable if they are really needed across the state yet, but I can't wait for some snowy ascents.

Not that we have a lot of mountains around here, but in the seacoast/Exeter area we received around a foot of snow. Pawtuckaway State Park had about two inches of snow on Friday and I will report back on current snow amounts.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/html/snow_depth.html

Any more reports from the north country?

Z :D

Last edited:
I'm breaking trail on something tomorrow, don't know what yet, me and my dog have been bickering about which peak all morning.;)

sierra & anyone else looking for suggestions this week- how about Jefferson? that's my first target come next Sunday :)

I like the snow. prior to the snow is what i call 'november ice season', icy, slippery, and dangerous

The hiking can get pretty ugly pre snow. Especially this year with a big rain followed by a deep freeze. In Maine I'm fortunate enough to get to the coast for hiking in November and early December because the interior peaks has thin snow with heavy ice on the trails up until now. If not hiking, I'm glad to get some XC skiing in too.

I'll be happy if I can put on my snowshoes at the start of a hike. Hate carrying those things!

sierra & anyone else looking for suggestions this week- how about Jefferson? that's my first target come next Sunday :)

Are you suggesting that I break out the trail for you? :confused: cmon in my day you had to break out almost every trail and they were uphill BOTHWAY'S back then.:eek:

Are you suggesting that I break out the trail for you? :confused: cmon in my day you had to break out almost every trail and they were uphill BOTHWAY'S back then.:eek:

wow, you saw right through that one :)

so where did you go today?

I bet you can bareboot again now.

Well, I bet on some trails you can, if by bareboot you mean sans snowshoes. But even in lower elevations you would be wise to have some type of traction. Top of Pemigewasset was a sheet of ice yesterday. Lonesome Lake was a slippery, sloppy mess w/a coating of ice on rocks and either ice or slush-covered ice in between. Didn't seem to matter whether snowshoes or just spikes/hounds, no way to avoid making a mess of the trail that will most likely freeze in the next few days. Going to be a minefield out there. Be careful folks, don't sprain an ankle.

Wow, the recent weather and the overnight snow is starting to remind me of the winters when I first moved to the region. Unfortunately, in recent years, about 2 years in three, we would not have a significant snowpack until late January and atypically warm weather at the start of winter.

Dare we hope for a more traditional winter this year?

Well, I would say we have answered that question!

Going up to NH this weekend, Carter Hut. Updates on conditions would be appreciated. Going to Bring snowshoes, microspikes and crampons, heard most are just carrying the snowshoes. Thanks

Lots of snow melt with potential for overnight freezing. I except wet icy trails with rocks sticking up is this weekend, some snow at higher elevations

Last edited: