Recommended crampons?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i recently bought a pair of grivel g10's that are working out very well for me. so far i've only used them with my vasque sundowners, and they've been pretty comfortable. they seem to be the perfect crampon for the northeast because they have shorter spikes that make it easy to get around on rocky trails, but they still have plenty of bite to them for walking on ice. though they're not the lightest or fanciest crampons out there, i think it would be hard to go wrong with these in the 100-120 dollar price range. my only advice is that you try some on before you buy them, because i found out that i actually needed to buy the "wide" model to fit into the heel of my boots. good luck, and happy cramping.

luke

ps:where are you from in vt? i live in putney when i'm not at school.

G-10

My G-10 strap-ons have been on soreals(my 15 year olds size 13's,scarpas(my ice climbing boots that I also hike in)Vasque sundowners(warmer weather) and even LaSportiva ExumRidge's just because I could.They are very dependable and versital.I just wish that I had anti-bots for them. ;)

Camp Green Ice

My Camp green ice 12 point crampons have been great. They strap on are flexible and kick the snow out better than most. Bought them back in 2001 from a company called Yeti gear, not even sure if they're still around. Cost around $120

Highly Recommend G-10 or 12's

Both are very nice crampons. Most likely you'll only need G-10's. If you use the straps correctly and possibly use other supplimental straps you can mount the G's on almost any kind of boot including soft sorels (they won't be all that comfortable, but...). When you purchase them you should buy a 2nd pair of extenders in case they break (mine never have).

You should be able to get the G10s from summithaus for like $83 shipped if you are an REI member... At least I received mine a few weeks ago ($89 + free shipping + 10% off for being an REI member) and I got mine. The G10s are supposedly sold with the Antibots but I didn't get mine, so I contacted SH and the guy shipped the old style antibots for free. The new ones are yellow two piece units and have a little dome in the center. The old style is a one piece rubber looking thing that is shaped like the sole of the G10.

Either way, they gave that too me free but I have yet to use it. The G10s I have are the New Classic bindings and I use it with some Montrail Torre GTX boots.

Jay

crampons

as with most everyone else I own a pair of G-10's as well. They're pretty well bulletproof, I've used mine for years (5?).However, if you happen to be in southern VT or western MA. eatern NY. theres a "want advertiser digest" this weeks issue 2/4-2/11 a pair of petzles for 50 bucks. Its in the camping section of the digest, though I cant vouch for their durability or performance. Petzles a pretty good brand though and they've been in the buisness for years.

charlet petzl moser (or whatever they are calling themself now) vasek leverlocks - Hiltons tent city in boston sells them for about 120. Great for everything from winter peak pagging to vertical ice. I used to have the Moser Encrin 10 points and I like these way better. I love them - need a boot with compatible heel though. Most plastics have this and some leathers.

Last edited:
I'm also new to winter hiking in the Whites, and here is what I roll in...
I picked up some Cassin crampons from Sierra Trading Post for $39 this past Autumn. I wear them with Koflach Degrees, which I got from Hilton's in Boston for $200 last St. Pattie's Day after having a few drinks. (Some people get tattoes, I buy gear!)
I spent some time dremmel-ing the Koflach/Vibram sole to make sure the crampons fit snug and won't torque off. I also spent some time this Autumn in the park "airating" the grass with my boots and crampons, getting used to them.
All the crampons I've seen look good, but it seems like it really depends on the boot/crampon fit.
Cheers,
PS

The Black Diamond Contact crampon is a good choice. It will fit most any boot. Mgear has had them between 79.99 and 99.99.

Oldsmores said:
The Black Diamond Contact crampon is a good choice. It will fit most any boot. Mgear has had them between 79.99 and 99.99.

I second the vote for Black Diamond Contact Strap crampons. I used them for a traverse of Wittenberg-Cornell-Slide (came just short of Slide :( due to weather)

They worked really well in the icy scramble sections. Very good footing. I will add though, that the rear binding plastic severed towards the end of the hike. It is possible though that I sliced it with the edge on the other foot?

Hi Professor,
My vote is for the BD's 10pt strap-on's but I think the Grivels are equally well made. You won't go wrong with either choice.
The anti-bots clip on to the bottom of your crampons and help prevent snow from building on the bottom of your feet.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Black Diamond ...

Pucknuts61 said:
Hi Professor,
My vote is for the BD's 10pt strap-on's but I think the Grivels are equally well made. You won't go wrong with either choice.
The anti-bots clip on to the bottom of your crampons and help prevent snow from building on the bottom of your feet.
Good luck!
DITTO on the BD Contact Strap on's. Been real happy with them

bdcontactstrap.jpg

Capt.Jim

edit.... after now having used them on half a dozen climbs I think I might look for a pair with spikes that are slightly shorter and maybe have a slightly wider stance. I've noticed that unless the snow/ice is deep enough the long spikes are not as stable as I would like. For example, especially when you get near the tops of the mountains where you're starting to walk on bare (or almost bare) rock, but still have to negotiate some ice & snow. I don't want to have to take them off, but it can be tricky walking with them on. I was looking at something like these...
images%5Cuploads%5Ccategory4%5CKTS.jpg
http://www.smcgear.net/products.asp?cat=4&pid=71 they say the new steel version have slightly longer spikes and a little more angle on the front spikes than the old aluminium style. Anyone have any experience with these or know of another option?

Thanks again!
Capt. Jim

Last edited: