Exercise better than medicine ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
It might seem obvious, but this study backs up the claim with statistics. This is a peer-reviewed paper from the BMJ where: "researchers compared how well various drugs and exercise succeed in reducing deaths among people who have been diagnosed with several common and serious conditions, including heart disease and diabetes".

To summarize: "Exercise can be as effective as many frequently prescribed drugs in treating some of the leading causes of death, according to a new report".

Since these afflictions run in my family, I was particularly interested in this.

Full NYTs Article.

I can also attest to how much exercise has helped my arthritis (which I have had from birth). When I don't exercise for some time (for various reasons) the return is much harder due to constant flareups until I get back into a routine. Once in this routine the debilitating flareups seldom occur.

My doctor or his nurse always raises an eyebrow when they ask if I am taking any meds and I answer "no". Apparently, in your late 40s, you are supposed to be. My wife is the same way.

Tim

Late 50s (58) - no meds. Sadly, most of our modern meds are extremely blunt instruments. They might have some beneficial effect for a specific condition, but they do 50 other things in your system, only 5 or 10 of which we even understand. Avoid taking poison for as long as possible.

Of course for some conditions, in some people, medications are required. But many (most?) of the conditions for which people take meds can be alleviated by lifestyle changes (exercise, diet, getting enough sleep, reducing stress reactions, etc.). It's unfortunate that so many folks turn to a pill rather than make beneficial lifestyle changes.

Last edited:
Late 50s (58) - no meds. Sadly, most of our modern meds are extremely blunt instruments. They might have some beneficial effect for a specific condition, but they do 50 other things in your system, only 5 or 10 of which we even understand. Avoid taking poison for as long as possible.

Of course for some conditions, in some people, medications are required. But many (most?) of the conditions for which people take meds can be alleviated by lifestyle changes (exercise, diet, getting enough sleep, reducing stress reactions, etc.). It's unfortunate that so many folks turn to a pill rather than make beneficial lifestyle changes.
As I alluded to, even though I exercise a lot, I still have family predisposition to various maladies, and numbers that concern my doctor. So, for now, I'm stuck with 'both'.

I, too, can vouch for exercise/hiking in lieu of meds. Two years ago, when I got back into hiking, I was on heart and cholesterol medicine (the latter cause of which is 80% hereditary/20% diet & exercise). Most people are surprised to hear that. No heart medicine for a year and a half, the other six months, and all is good. And yes, surgery is never a cure-all. Head for the hills and keep moving! Happy trails!

I couldn't agree more with exercise being superior to the blunt instruments of drugs.

In many cases the "numbers" are set by big pharma and the conclusions of their research, a joke. As in: the raw data might show that the sun is setting earlier every day but in the conclusions section of the paper it might read: our data clearly prove that the days are getting longer. That's the only part the average MD or newspaper reporter "learns".

To exercise I would add good eating and sleeping habits and avoidance of toxins to the list. Choosing one's parents wisely is another important albeit difficult to control factor.

After reading a few books I lent him my best friend (a molecular biologist) went off statins and was surprised at how much better he felt. Interestingly, he reported a significant increase in libido. I was unaware that statins could blunt sexual desire.

Interesting game of telephone that has gone on here: from the original article, titled, "Comparative effectiveness of exercise and drug interventions..." to the title of the NYT piece, "Exercise as Potent Medicine," to the title of this thread, "Exercise better than medicine?" Those sound pretty different considering there's only one data set.

Curious if any of the posters to this thread actually read the British Medical Journal article referenced in the NYT piece? I can't tell if it's pay-walled. The article is problematic, and the data don't support the conclusions some of the posters to this thread seem to be drawing.

I agree Brian. Exercise won't cure cancer. It won't cure infections. It won't cure autoimmune diseases.

But that said, there can be no mistaking the positive affects of exercise either. Sadly, despite the soaring rates of childhood obesity, prescription drug addiction, and the incessant barrage of commercials pushing drugs for nearly everything imaginable, many folks have eschewed exercise, healthy eating, and common sense. Too many people would rather enjoy their vices than work hard at good health ..... too many folks simply think that taking a vitamin for breakfast, vicodin for lunch, and xanax for dinner will cure all their ills.

Aside from serious illnesses, exercise can only help. There is no downside to being active .... and as Skiguy says ..... "keep moving"! (my grandmother actually lived by that saying and enjoyed a very healthy life to 97 years old .... she was strong and healthy, still driving, cooking, cleaning, etc until a few days before she died. Yes, it's anecdotal evidence, .... but since heredity plays a part in your health as Tom mentions, ... I hope to be half as healthy as her if I live to be that age ..... )

Haha! Good point HikerBrian. Believing means not seeing.

Related to my field, (chiropractic) nearly every study I've read or read about regarding the treatment of musculoskeletal ailments that includes "exercise" as an intervention (usually added to other interventions and compared to same intervention sans exercise but also alone) shows that the cohorts that have "general" exercise added fair better.

There is a huge problem with prescribing exercise however and I doubt they mention it in the original article. Everyone wants you ( the therapist) to give them exercises but compliance is just a tad greater than zero. "Doc, please tell me what I can do?" Their brain: "Oh. You mean it's work? Fuhgettabout it!"