Hikes in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clark

Reaction score
To anyone interested. I am planning on taking two hikes in the White Mountains over the next few weeks.

One will be to South Kinsman, probably over North Kinsman. The other will be a long slog up to Mt. Isolation.

I will be going out on Saturday, February 26th and Sunday March 6th. Don't care which is which. If anyone is interested, let me know. The more the merrier!

Clark

Isolation

I'd be up for taking on Mt. Isolation slog. What route are you thinking of?

Isolation

Greenie,

Probably the shortest! It seems no matter how you cut it, you are signing up for 14.5 miles. I was thinking of coming in from the east. The Rocky Branch to the Isolation Trail. However, the Dry River to the Isolation woudl also work, though I have heard that the Dry River is a rough walk.

Having never done either, I can't say I am sold on one vs the other.

Let me know if you are interested and which weekend you prefer and we can firm up plans. As a note, I am a steady though not particularly fast hiker. I go in any weather, though I am quite careful and do not take chances. I hvae 43 of the 48 done in winter and am lokoing to finish them up this season.

I am never in a hurry, and like to enjoy my time in the woods. Company is always welcome.

Ciao,

Clark

Clark said:
Greenie,

Probably the shortest! It seems no matter how you cut it, you are signing up for 14.5 miles. I was thinking of coming in from the east. The Rocky Branch to the Isolation Trail. However, the Dry River to the Isolation woudl also work, though I have heard that the Dry River is a rough walk.

I've been in Dry River in winter. Long, unlikely to be broken out. A few points of route finding difficulty. We turned back before reaching Isolation. Rocky Branch from Rte 16 seems to be the most common winter route--there are some bushwack shortcuts on the trail. Described in trip reports last winter.

Doug