Slip Mountain winter access

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the Seventy road that goes up to the Slip Mountain/ Mt Fay area. Specifically, I'm looking for winter parking info and to what point the road is plowed. I was also interested in knowing what level of snowmobile activity there is in that area. Any input or info would be greatly appreciated. Buddy

The road is cleared only to the Nyco mine entrance, but note that pas Fay Mt, more exactly soon after the small pond Seventy Road is private and the owner (s) is not fond of hikers! Parking in the winter may be dificult depending on the size of the snowbanks.

The Jay Mountain Road which is the one that give a shorter access to Slip in summer is closed to traffic at the now gone(Irene) bridge over Spruce Mill Brook and not cleared in winter from where Route 20 meets Seventy Road. Nowadays one has to access it via Carlott and Goff Road. Jay Mountain Road is well travelled by snowmobile but I don't know if Seventy is as busy as it's very short being blocked past the pond by the private owner.

Last edited:
Jim Bailey’s petition to the US Board of Geographic Names to rename Slip Mountain was successful! He was informed that the name change was approved. It is now officially MacDonough Mountain. Here’s the link:

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispu...:3:P3_FID,P3_TITLE:965427,MacDonough Mountain

Feature Detail Report for: MacDonough Mountain

ID: 965427
Name: MacDonough Mountain
Class: Summit (Definitions)

History: Named for Commodore Thomas MacDonough (1783-1825), whose naval victory on during the Battle of Lake Champlain effectively turned the War of 1812.
Description: Located in Adirondack Park .and the Town of Lewis, in the Adirondack Mountains, 2.4 mi. S of Bluff Mountain, 2 mi. SE of Arnold Mountain
Citation: U.S. Board on Geographic Names. Geographic Names Post Phase I Board/Staff Revisions. 12-Dec-2013.
Entry Date: 23-Jan-1980
*Elevation: 3320/1012

I received Mr. Bailey permission to publish his account of the process:

"I found the name MacDonough explained in Colvin’s 1874 Report probably mid 2012, but I saw it on early maps as far back as the 1985 Adirondack Museum exhibit, “History in the Mapping”. (They published a 72 page paperback of that title that year for $6.95 that might still be in stock) Colvin first put it on his map folded in the 1874-79 Report( that came out in 1879). Stoddard copied from Colvin. I’ve been collecting Adir. topo maps for years, successive editions. The 1953 Ausable quad is suddenly bursting with weird names where none were before...Bitch, Death, etc. Jennifer of USGS emailed me that they could find no field notes of the 1953 series for the Ausable Quad that first showed Slip."

Yes, the 1953 Ausable Forks quad is certainly "bristling" with new names. I am guessing that the surveyor in charge of that quad liked talking to local residents and used every name he gathered from those conversations. I have always liked Alec LaMountain Mountain. I also know that most of the new names for streams on the 1979 Keene Valley metric sheet came from the surveyor's conversations in the then Spread Eagle (now Ausable) Inn.

Surveying is a tough job, bushwhacking through the mountains. You even have to pass the 'bar exam'.