Tecumseh via Mount Tecumseh Trail (25 December 2013) from Waterville Valley

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 25 December 2013, Christmas Day

Trail Conditions: Mount Tecumseh Trail from Waterville Valley Ski Area was icy from bottom to top. Not much glare ice, but a lot of rough, uneven ice, slightly easier to walk on and gain grip. There are still many rocks exposed. There was some hard packed snow to a depth of 1-2 inches in spots, but not much. The crossings were all easy rock hops with low water and little to no ice on the rocks.

Special Equipment Required: Light traction was good for the descent. I barebooted the ascent but traction would have been good in spots. Poles would have bee useful in spots. Not enough snow for snowshoes and not enough ice for crampons. Cold weather gear (5 F on summit).

Comments: a gorgeous day to hike with blue skies, bright sun, and no wind on the summit just after noon. Nice way to spend Christmas Day this year given I had it free. Great views of the snow covered Presidentials, Osceolas, Tripyramids, Carrigain, and plenty others. Saw one other hiker starting out as I was coming to the end. A fun way to do another W48 Solo (42/48) and a good day for an easy one.

Last edited: