Your Top Ten Photos of 2013!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great images everyone - always such a great variety!

This year's theme is Midnight Mountain Madness.

Upper_Ammonoosuc_Falls.jpg

Milky Way and Upper Ammonoosuc Falls

Castle_Ridge_By_Moonlight.jpg

Castle Ridge By Moonlight

Close_Encounters_On_Sunset_Ridge.jpg

Close Encounters On Sunset Ridge

Descending_Mount_Madison_in_Predawn_Light.jpg

Descending Mount Madison in Pre-dawn Light

Mount_Washington_in_Predawn_Light.jpg

Mount Washington in Pre-dawn Light

On_Mansfield_At_Night.jpg

On Mansfield At Night

Rimed_Trees_and_Crescent_Moon_From_Camels_Hump.jpg

Rimed Trees and Crescent Moon From Camels Hump

Running_Down_Camels_Hump_1.jpg

Running Down Camels Hump 1

Running_Down_Camels_Hump_2.jpg

Running Down Camels Hump 2

Aurora_at_Averill_Lake.jpg

Aurora at Averill Lake

Tim, beautiful shots! I don't recognize Upper Ammonoosuc falls, though... is this the one along the Base Road?

John in NH - it was good to meet you at Pondicherry for the full moon shots - glad you got some good ones!

These are some awesome pictures! Don't think I can compete with these but below are my favorites from the year:
IMG_20131109_100609_719.jpg
View East through a gap in the trees on Mt Flume (11/9/13)
Washington_DSCN3924_0103.jpg
View to Mt Monroe from Lakes Of The Clouds
Kinsmans_DSCN3235_0117.jpg
The last summit cairn of my last 4,000 footer to complete the list (which had an tremendous seat built into it to view the Franconia Ridge, enjoy a Guiness and reflect on completing the list)

Thanks everyone! Chris, I think Kevin had it right as to where the falls are located, after all the stream crossings are behind you, breaking out of the treeline.

Last edited:
Thanks, Kevin & Tim. I know that spot up on the Ammo trail - great shot! I was thrown by the moniker.... I'd never seen the official Upper Ammo looking quite that fine :)

OK, here are nine more. This year I was either very close to home, or Far Away.

Leatherleaf, Blue Hills, April:
i011.jpg

Tiny turtle, Blue Hills, May:
i013.jpg

Snakemouth orchid, Blue Hills, June:
i019.jpg

Water-lily, Blue Hills, June:
i003.jpg

Wet sheep, Iceland, August:
i018.jpg

Loons, Iceland, August:
i010.jpg

Pokeweed, Blue Hills, October:
i009.jpg

Autumn colors, Blue Hills, October:
i024.jpg

Horse Lake Mountain, Washington, December:
i021.jpg

Last edited:
Great shots all. I definitely need to do more photography ... and I really need to get out more at night (love those shots, Tim)!

The only good shots I got this year were from a summer trip to Wyoming and Montana.

Snowy Range, a calm moment in between the thunderstorms, Wyoming
vftt_2013_0001.jpg

Sunrise at Mirror Lake, Snowy Range, Wyoming
vftt_2013_0004.jpg

Medicine Bow Peak Trail, Snowy Range, Wyoming
vftt_2013_0003.jpg

Rainy day moose, Snowy Range, Wyoming
vftt_2013_0002.jpg

Moose duo, Snowy Range, Wyoming ... there were 5 bull moose hanging out in our campground this morning!
vftt_2013_0005.jpg

Stream reflections, Bighorn Mountains, Wyoming ... the sky was hazy this day due to distant forest fires so I was trying for photos that didn't include the sky
vftt_2013_0006.jpg

Wildflowers, Logan Pass, Glacier National Park, Montana
vftt_2013_0008.jpg

Ground squirrel, Logan Pass, Glacier National Park, Montana ... this is probably my favorite shot of the year
vftt_2013_0009.jpg

Mountain Goats, Logan Pass, Glacier National Park, Montana
vftt_2013a0001.jpg

Devils Tower, Wyoming ... While taking some night shots we watched the headlamps of descending climbers
vftt_2013_0010.jpg

Wild Things 2013

Katydid or didn't she?
P1300247-001.JPG

Splish splash I was taking a bath... Dark-eyed Junco
P1300044-001.JPG

Wolf Spider
P1290662.JPG

Green Frog
P1280536.JPG

Black Bear eating my Raspberries.
P1280211.JPG

Old Sam Peabody. White-throated Sparrow.
P1250989.JPG

Spruce Grouse
P1240882.JPG

Gray Jay coming in for a landing.
P1190441.JPG

Not for the squeamish. A fully engorged Winter Tick, the bane of our New Hampshire moose.
P1240571.JPG

American Marten on Passaconaway.
American%2520Marten.jpg

What happens at Lonesome Lake Hut stays at Lonesome Lake Hut.
IMG_0446.JPG

John

I just want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread for some truly amazing photography! I look forward to these types of threads every year! I would also like to thank those of you who took the time to comment on my photos of Emma, she is dearly missed and even if someday another trail dog takes a place by our side there will never be a "replacement" for our little brave one. I know many of you have loved to see her pictures here and I would like you to know I am working on a book of her adventures that will hopefully be completed within the coming months, I'll be sure to post here when it becomes available… Thanks again!

KDT

Some of the places I went this year. Had some family members come with me on some, which were the most important ones. Hopefully the pictures come through on the forum here. It's nice to see the pictures others showed. Some beautiful views!

Mount Jackson at sunrise.
201300001.jpg

Not positive, but I think this is West Baldpate
201300002.jpg

Trip to Katahdin that involved my son and new son in law. The only view we had all day.
201300003.jpg

This was at the parking lot of Whiteface and Passaconaway.
201300004.jpg

East Royce just barely in Maine at Evans Notch. West Royce was visited as well (NH)
201300005.jpg

This is what started my obsession this year. My first real hike. Burnt Meadow in Maine.
201300006.jpg

My favorite hike this year. Caribou Mountain. Wife, Daughter, and son in law was with me.
201300007.jpg

Another family outing. Blueberry Mountain in Evans Notch.
201300008.jpg

My very first 4k trip. Lafayette and Lincoln. This is what hooked me completely.
201300009.jpg

Ahhh...this was the most desolate hike I took. A trail hardly anyone has been on this year. This is Goose Eye south of Mahoosuc Notch.
201300010.jpg