Scrambles in New England

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
I got bored today, so made a list of all hiking "scrambles" in New England. I have purposely excluded climbing routes. These are strictly trails generally considered do-able by experienced (and daring) hikers.

Rock Scrambles in New England

Did I miss any significant scrambles?

Is my "class" designation correct?

- Greg (roadtripper)

Last edited:
Did you cross-check this against the "Terrifying 25"?

Some I can see are missing:

Couple of trails named "subway":
One in King Ravine, Mt Adams, NH
One on Mt Mansfield, VT

If you count Owl's Head path, you should also include the Mt Coe trail in Baxter.
I haven't been on the OJI south slide, but I bet it's similar to the Mt Coe trail. (I have been on the north slide of OJI which is harder than the Coe trail, but it's no longer an official trail)

I don't remember any scrambling at all on the Saddle Trail in Katahdin.

It's a bit pointless to argue Class 2 vs Class 3, but I think your choice of where to draw the line is quite reasonable.

Last edited:
For those who have done these in Connecticut, would you consider them class II scrambles?:

1. Blue trail/Quinnipiac Trail up Sleeping Giant's head;
2. North side of Bear Mountain via the A.T.

There are also a couple of brief, interesting scrambles on the Metacomet Trail on Ragged Mountain, ascending from the south and from the north, a couple miles apart. Similarly a tricky spot on Cobble Mountain in Macedonia Brook SP on the loop trail, ascending from the north.

Finally, would the Chute section of the White Dot trail on Monadnock count as a Class II?

Last edited:
Great list! I would suggest that the Loop Trail on Tumbledown has 2 sections that I would consider scrambles.

Great list! I would suggest that the Loop Trail on Tumbledown has 2 sections that I would consider scrambles.

Totally agree. I also suggest that you add Bemis Mountain Peak 1 (Appalachian Trail) in western Maine - definite 2 to 2+.

I also noticed that you did not include "The Horn" in your NH list, given our scrambles up and down that peak last month :p

You seem to do outstanding work when bored, Greg. That throws the "more productivity when motivated" theory :rolleyes:

Happy New Year to you and Abby.

Marty

Thank you for posting this - always looking for these. There is one in the Belknap range that some members have mentioned but I can recall the name - it is in an area one would not expect to encounter a tough scramble.

I know Holt Trail is rated class 3 but I don't get it - I think it was even less than a 2. Spellman Trail on Monadnock is not much if you follow the blazes, but if you pick your own route can be more interesting, albeit short.

To me a scramble means I need to use my hands for a few consecutive steps. Here are some considerations:

Algonquin Trail (Sandwich Mtn)
Zeacliff Trail (haven't done it myself, so this is by reputation)
The agonies on OBP
The fearsome Chimney on the Osceola Trail
I feel as though the South Slide on the Tri's was similar to the Owl's head slide. The west end of Kate Sleeper would be lumped in their too.
The ascent up to North Carter from the north on the CMT is also a bit scrambly.

Like this list too! I was on a "ravine kick" this summer after I finished my 48 and was doing a lot of these. Good to have more to add to the list.

Also, regarding the class ratings you have added to each is there some sort of standard online somewhere for the ratings and how they are arrived at or is this just your own rating system? Would be curious to see what comprises Class I, Class II, etc. I assume there are much higher classes as you progress into actual climbing with equipment, etc. Thanks.

Since I see a few closed trails on the list let me add the Marston Slide Trail at Baxter State Park. It goes directly up the side of South Brother within a few hundred feet of the top. When open it had a reputation as a classic scramble. Many similarities to North Slide of Trypyramid but some differences.

Having done a few scrambles on 14ers out here as well as the majority on your New England list, I think you are pretty much on target with ratings. Of course, a 2 can become a 3 (or even a 4) depending on conditions and how smart or dumb your feet are on any given day, and 3s can become 2s also, if you get lucky with your route. And class doesn't really take exposure into account, which for me is the #1 challenge. Nice work.

Driver8, I'd agree that your CT scrambles would be class 2 if more protracted, but for me they're just so short that they're over before you know it. But I have no authority to say anything, really. Heck, I've been up a lot of fire towers that would qualify as class 2. :)

Last edited:
Driver8, I'd agree that your CT scrambles would be class 2 if more protracted, but for me they're just so short that they're over before you know it. But I have no authority to say anything, really. Heck, I've been up a lot of fire towers that would qualify as class 2. :)

Thanks for the chuckle, weatherman. :) I agree that Sleeping Giant, which was the stuff of terror the first time I did it, is not all that bad. The scrambling is intermittent for me now there, where as then, it was an hour-plus, cling-to-the-rocks-and-don't-look-down adventure. Cool how one's boundaries expand in this hobby with experience and accomplishment. :) :) I've only done Bear's north side once each way. Want to go back and hit it again before too long. Haven't done that peak in winter. That would indeed be an adventure for me - maybe. ...

ON EDIT: Looking back at the YDS - thanks for the link, Tim - it seems fair to me to call Sleeping Giant, Bear Mountain's north side, etc., class II. They are indeed simple scrambling with occasional use of the hands. Their scrambling sections don't go on forever, but they look to meet the definition of class II as written. Not to the level of peril of major fall, at least in warm weather, but occasional use of the hands.

Last edited:
A fun list for reminiscing as the snowflakes fall. It surprised me to see Beehive and, even more, Precipice Trail in Acadia NP rated II+. They aren't long and have those metal rungs, but I think they challenge far more than many of those IIIs.

What about trails with fixed ropes such as Little Spencer ME and Benton Sugarloaf in NH?

what about in MA? Anything significant? I know the Blue Hills and Middlesex Fells have a few very short sections, so I wouldn't really call those "scrambling".

Anything else? How about on Greylock?

what about in MA? Anything significant? I know the Blue Hills and Middlesex Fells have a few very short sections, so I wouldn't really call those "scrambling".

Anything else? How about on Greylock?

I don't think I'd call the Thunderbolt Trail, straight to the Greylock summit from the east, a scramble, but it is steep - built by the CCC in the 1930s for ski-racing. Climbing it without a break will burn off a lot of eggnog. Plenty of nice trails in Blue Hills and the Fells but no scrambles.

I got bored today, so made a list of all hiking "scrambles" in New England. I have purposely excluded climbing routes. These are strictly trails generally considered do-able by experienced (and daring) hikers.

NEW HAMPSHIRE
  • Baldface Circle Trail (South Baldface) - class II
  • Air Line Trail (Mt. Adams) - class II
  • Beaver Brook Trail (Mt. Moosilauke) - class II
  • Blueberry Ledge Trail (Mt. Whiteface) - class II
  • Brook Trail (Chocorua) - class II
  • Caps Ridge Trail (Mt. Jefferson) - class II
  • Carter Ledge Trail (Chocorua) - class II
  • Castle Ravine Trail (Mt. Jefferson) - class III
  • Castle Trail (Mt. Jefferson) - class II+
  • Chemin des Dames (Mt. Adams) - class II
  • Flume Slide Trail (Mt. Flume) - class II+
  • Great Gulf Trail (Mt. Washington) - class II
  • Great Gully Trail (Mt. Adams) - class III
  • Hi-Cannon Trail (Cannon Mountain) - class II
  • Holt Trail (Mt. Cardigan) - class III
  • Huntington Ravine Trail (Mt. Washington) - class III
  • Ice Gulch Path - class II
  • King Ravine Trail (Mt. Adams) - class III
  • Madison Gulf Trail (Mt. Madison) - class II
  • Mount Morgan Trail (Mt. Morgan) - class II
  • Mount Percival Trail (Mt. Percival) - class II
  • North Slide (Mt. Tripyramid) - class III
  • Owl's Head Path (Owl's Head) - class II
  • Percy Peaks Trail (North Percy) - class II
  • Six Husbands Trail (Mt. Jefferson) - class III
  • Spellman Trail (Mt. Monadnock) - class II+
  • Star Lake Trail (Mt. Adams) - class II
  • Table Rock Trail (Table Rock) - class II
  • Underhill Trail (North Percy Peak) - class III
  • Wildcat Ridge Trail (Wildcat D) - class II
MAINE
  • Abol Slide (Katahdin) - Class II
  • Beehive Trail (The Beehive) - Class II+
  • Cathedral Ledge (Katahdin) - Class III
  • Dudley Trail (Katahdin) - Class II+
  • Hunt Trail (Katahdin) - Class II
  • Knife Edge (Katahdin) - Class III
  • Mahoosuc Notch - Class III
  • Precipice Trail (Champlain Mountain) - Class II+
  • Saddle Trail (Katahdin) - Class II
  • West Face Trail (Cadillac Mountain) - Class II+
VERMONT
  • Cliff Trail (Mt. Mansfield) - Class II
  • Hell Brook Trail (Mt. Mansfield) - Class II+
  • Long Trail (Camel's Hump) - Class II
Did I miss any significant scrambles?

Is my "class" designation correct?

- Greg (roadtripper)

I would not agree with your class 3 designations. I think the only trail desearving of a class 3 rating in NH at least, is the Hunnington Ravine trail. Class 3 means that you cannot climb the route without the proper use of handholds. While some of the routes ie. Great gully, North slide Tri come close, they do not im my opinion meet this criteria.

The Peak Above the Nubble slide probably pushes third-class, and I don't think you're limiting this to on-trail?

As roadtripper says, several sections in the Fells, particularly on the Rock Circuit loop, are a solid 2/3 but top out at maybe fifteen vertical. Lots of fun if you're local but not worth a long trip. I think it's Black Rock that's the most interesting. Those also have both walking bypass and 5.easy options.

I would not agree with your class 3 designations. I think the only trail desearving of a class 3 rating in NH at least, is the Hunnington Ravine trail. Class 3 means that you cannot climb the route without the proper use of handholds. While some of the routes ie. Great gully, North slide Tri come close, they do not im my opinion meet this criteria.
That's not quite how I read it, my interpretation is that if most users require more than occasional handholds it counts as Class 3, not that some expert free climber can't do it without hands

For instance while it might be possible to climb the ladder on Hi-Cannon without hands, does anybody do it? On the other 'hand', it's only a short section so maybe doesn't qualify.

Try Benton Sugarloaf (there are notes here about it) and see if you think it's Class 3