Ammonoosuc in the winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marysgirl

Reaction score
I climbed Monroe this way in the fall a few years back, I think I remember a lot of water on rock, has anyone used this trail in winter to climb Monroe? Is it reasonable to climb in the winter? Also summited Jefferson via Caps Ridge, lots of exposed rock that is pretty steep. Any thoughts on this in the winter?? I think this was rated as a really hard climb in any weather? I have to get Madison so perhaps scooting over from Madison to get Jefferson is more safe? As I look at my list these are the ones that I am just not sure how to tackle in winter.....any suggestions or thoughts?

The road to the cog to pick up the Ammonoosuc is plowed all winter? What about Jefferson notch??

Last edited:
Monroe and/or Washington is/are commonly done as loop up the Ammo and down the Jewell, or the other way around. Yes, the Ammo has ice bulges, but it's not usually a problem - I've done that route a handful of times (at least once in each direction).

Caps Ridge is not usually used in winter as the road is closed. Jefferson is typically done via Jewell/Gulfside in winter. Possibly in conjunction with Monroe and/or Washington. I have done these three in this manner twice. Crossing Edmand's Col in winter has been known to be dangerous (snowfields and high winds) and certainly, at a minimum, offers very long exposure.

Tim

Ammo is a fun trail in the winter after there is good snowpack. Steep, but can be done with snowshoes without much difficulty. One year, the trail actually migrated to follow the brook from Gem Pool instead of the normal route... a bit more challenging, but still manageable with snowshoes.

Thanks guys! Glad to know about Jefferson, I will hopefully get a nice enough day to scoot over from Madison, if not I know how to get there on a different day. Love the new photo Tim!!

I would guess that one would use the Westside Trail to get to Jefferson from Monroe without going near the top of Washington to pick up Gulfside. I did the Westside twice in the summer and thought it might be scary to do in the winter, due to the steep slopes below it. Am I wrong? Any other options (e.g., bushwhack from Lakes of the Clouds to the Westside/Gulfside junction)?

Thanks,
Marty

Now that the cog road is plowed a lot of people go up Ammo Rav Tr

I have seen it so icy that even people with ice axes and full crampons were bypassing some sections in the woods

I have also seen it quite icy. Far too icy for microspikes. There are normally not any sections that require an ice ax. I definitely prefer going up ice than down it.

West Side trail well graded way to skip the top of Washington but its is totally exposed to the wind. I expect it drifts in. And it there is any wind or visibility I expect it would be easy to loose the trail.

I have also seen it quite icy. Far too icy for microspikes.

second this observation. it can also be problematic to follow the trail down into the trees in times of low visibility with the potential to get off course and into treacherous terrain. this is a trail that i find people often downplay the potential dangers and difficulties of in winter/shoulder season conditions. though it's considered a standard route i wouldn't underestimate it.

bryan

Third, I did both Washington and Monroe that way & attempted Jefferson by Jewell in a big snow winter with blow downs and a veteran hiker and myself lost the trail once the markers were under the snow. Snowshoes down low & then crampons. While l did not need the front points, I was happy to have 12 pts.

Unless you had an ideal day or were very familar with Westside and the Washington cone, I'd probably stay away from the middle presidential trio. Its a long time above treeline, even if the weather starts good in the AM, it may not stay that way all day. Once you commit a bit on Westside, in bad weather you're trying to escape likely in the teeth of the weather with either a snowy bushwhack or making your way to Jewell or Ammo.

Overall, I like the Ammo approach but it's icy. Almost no one parks near the summer lot, they park at the cog (is it $5 still) and start there behind the small cottages behind the station. It's a bit shorter than the summit route also.

I hiked up and down Ammo May 12, 2012, then down it June 17, 2012. I found a few spots in the dry, clear conditions descending the trail on my second trip where it was hard to follow the trail - a trail I'd done just five weeks before. Doubtless it would be easy to lose in tough winter weather. As well, the one big rocky, ledgy brook crossing at about 4500' is doubtless a sheet of ice. It's tricky in warm weather, so doubtless is especially interesting in winter.

I agree with others. This seems like a potentially dangerous trail for winter, particularly descending. Whenever I do this trail in the summer I think of what it would be like covered in ice.

Does anyone ever summit Monroe from the other side via Crawford Path as an extension of Pierce and Eisenhower? Obviously a longer walk (certainly not as bad as going from Monroe over to Jefferson) but on a decent weather day with good snow conditions the relatively easy grades must make for far faster walking. Are there winter hazards (other than exposure) in that area I'm not aware of like bad drifting? I believe the 4000 Footer Guide mentions really nasty snowfields in front of Monroe as the trail wraps around toward the Lakes but on the other side is it OK?

And as long as I'm on the subject the Edmands Path I assume makes for a nice bail out option down to Clinton Road if weather turns bad to limit exposure (although I assume it is not broken out and rarely used but at least you can get into the trees and you're moving downhill, which is much less strenuous, and the road is always West of you and easy to hit even in the dark). Anyone ever do that trail in the winter? I know the trail itself is very comfortable but I don't remember how well blazed it was, etc.

Curious if anyone has ever gone that way. If so let me know why and what your preference is vs Ammo.

I agree with others. This seems like a potentially dangerous trail for winter, particularly descending. Whenever I do this trail in the summer I think of what it would be like covered in ice.

Does anyone ever summit Monroe from the other side via Crawford Path as an extension of Pierce and Eisenhower? Obviously a longer walk (certainly not as bad as going from Monroe over to Jefferson) but on a decent weather day with good snow conditions the relatively easy grades must make for far faster walking. Are there winter hazards (other than exposure) in that area I'm not aware of like bad drifting? I believe the 4000 Footer Guide mentions really nasty snowfields in front of Monroe as the trail wraps around toward the Lakes but on the other side is it OK?

And as long as I'm on the subject the Edmands Path I assume makes for a nice bail out option down to Clinton Road if weather turns bad to limit exposure (although I assume it is not broken out and rarely used but at least you can get into the trees and you're moving downhill, which is much less strenuous, and the road is always West of you and easy to hit even in the dark). Anyone ever do that trail in the winter? I know the trail itself is very comfortable but I don't remember how well blazed it was, etc.

Curious if anyone has ever gone that way. If so let me know why and what your preference is vs Ammo.

Everything I hear and read, DayTrip, is that the brook crossing on Edmands and the part just uphill of it, at about 4200', is an icy mess in winter, calling often for crampons and maybe ice axe.

If you cannot find the Ammo on descent, you can bushwhack down Monroe Brook Ravine and at the bottom a straight shot through the woods will drop you onto the trail below Gem Pool. We did this in 2010.

Tim

I will just echo what everyone else has said. I did Monroe/Jefferson via Ammo and Jewell with no problem. It was a perfect blue bird day two days before the official end of winter.

If you cannot find the Ammo on descent, you can bushwhack down Monroe Brook Ravine and at the bottom a straight shot through the woods will drop you onto the trail below Gem Pool. We did this in 2010. Tim

Yes, but Monroe Brook is avy terrain and you could get into serious shit in the wrong conditions. Beautiful snow descent otherwise.

I did the Westside twice in the summer and thought it might be scary to do in the winter, due to the steep slopes below it.
RIND, you are correct as far as my one experience on that trail in winter conditions went...all sidehill...no fall zone...yikes!

I have climbed Monroe 6 times in winter, 3.5 via (old) Lion Head (before cog was plowed), 1 from Crawford Notch, and 1.5 using Ammo

The route via Ammo is by far the shortest (although less so if you go to Washington also), perhaps less tricky than new Lion Head but not by much, from Crawford Notch has no particular difficult spots but a long walk above treeline hence requires the best weather

Ammo is a fun trail in the winter after there is good snowpack. Steep, but can be done with snowshoes without much difficulty. One year, the trail actually migrated to follow the brook from Gem Pool instead of the normal route... a bit more challenging, but still manageable with snowshoes.

Just make sure you don't go through the ice. Sometimes there is a considerable distance between the ice and snow and the stream bed and if you go through and get sucked down it won't be fun. The risque is obviously greater if you are following a stream bed and not just crossing it.

My 02.

On descending Ammo, yes, it's particularly icy up pretty high, I'd recommend real crampons not Micros although I'm sure a fair number of people have done it with Micros. You'll also find that you have some people who prefer snowshoeing over crampon travel assuming both okay. (I prefer crampon walking, snowshoes IMO are a necessary winter evil (I'm not alone in this thought but likely in the minority) while crampons & ice are winter fun for me.

On Edmands, years ago, a friend & I did it in late October and the trickle of Abenecki (sic?) Brook was forming an icy sheet and was the crux of our trip. (scanning my old photo's and just came across this trip actually). Two guys I used to hike with who used to post here (Farmer Bob & Gary T for the historians) went with another guy the first or second Spring Weekend one year. Gary & I often shared notes, he was a old White's guy with many years of experience but generally unassuming. They lost the trail near treeline & the third guy made the decision to head straight up the cone, likely from the west or northwest. It got steep, one of the three took a slide back into the trees, another became nervous & Gary finally had enough and took over. He later kicked himself for following the guy who was confident which Gary took as competent but for the most part the guy was pretty inexperienced as he put it.

Personally I did Ike along with Pierce and Jackson in my more fit days in winter.

My initial thought on adding Monroe to a winter trip on the Crawford Path, besides the aforementioned exposure on a 6+ mile trip in each direction, about six miles RT above treeline on an out and back trip is: I'd expect some snow in pockets getting up Franklin. (You'll find some Presi-Traverses done in summer from South to North, winter trips done by the more experienced are usually done North to South The col between Ike & Franklin is about 4400 feet. Franklin is just over 5000 feet with a summit not much higher than the plateau there so you'll climb about 600 feet before reaching the Monroe Loop. I've done the Southern peaks a few times in Summer and Fall & the descent of Franklin is the biggest one other than Washinton to LOC. in the southern peaks. the Franklin section makes up most of the descent from Monroe to the Edmand trail Junction.

I've not done (or likely will do) a winter traverse or a Katahdin winter trip. Generally my above treeline expsoure comfort in winter (assuming weather may change from AM to PM somewhat normally wor winter in New England & being prepared for sudden changes) is about 3 or 4 miles above treeline. I'm okay with the Franconia loop, Piece & Ike, Adams & Madison, even a Monroe & Washington trip. Can you add Jefferson, sure, but not now you need a longer & or better weather window. The more experienced you are up there in winter, the more leeway you may have with weather.

A hiker with a few winter 4's many summer 4's but only a trip or two in this area (think some peakbaggers who do it once & then move on), plus some smaller winter peaks like Monadnock & Kearsarge as a resume, probably should hope for stellar weather, an early start or find an expericened group.

okay,maybe that was a dime's worth.....