New and Improved Lean-to/Shelter Spreadsheet

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSettahr

Reaction score
Decided to make a new thread for this as I have made a major update to the Lean-to Spreadsheet.

The new spreadsheet has been expanded to include backcountry shelters in NY, VT, NH, ME, MA, CT, NJ, PA, MD, and WV. It includes lean-tos, shelters, cabins, and lodges for completeness. Each entry includes the shelter name, state, name of the management unit on which it resides, type of management unit on which it resides. There is also a special entry for the NY shelters indicating whether it is included in the lean-to challenge or not (basically, is it available for free public overnight use).

I've also tried to make it clear which accommodations charge fees for use, but this information is somewhat obscure. In general, if a particular shelter/hut has a trail organization listed who maintains that spot, it is safe to assume that there is a fee for the overnight use of that location.

At some point, I would like to continue to add states to the south (VA, TN, NC, SC, and GA), but I have limited information on trail shelters for these states on hand at present.

I am fairly satisfied that the information for NYS is accurate, with at most a small handful of lean-tos missing. I am sure that the information for other states is full of inaccuracies, though. Feel free to post any updates and corrections!

The breakdown of number of shelters per state:

NY: 385 (Of which 347 are included in the lean-to challenge)
VT: 73
NH: 44
ME: 54
MA: 12
CT: 2
NJ: 7
PA: 111
MD: 12
WV: 23

Total: 723

Attachments

• LeanTo_New.zip
    39.6 KB · Views: 522
Great list. Here's a few to add on the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway. Shelters

And a couple of shelters that you can rent on the Wapack Trail are Here There is also a stone shelter on the top of South Pack Monadnock but no overnight camping is allowed there.

Thanks for the effort...in NH, here is some info: Ore Hill on the AT burned down and has not been rebuilt (that I know of); Black Mt. in Jackson has a cabin similar to Doublehead cabin; there is the Mt. Langdon Shelter on the Mt. Stanton trail; and there is the Cabot Cabin on Mt. Cabot, just below the site of the former fire tower. Guess we could shelter bag now with a spreadsheet to keep track!!!!

Nice work. You're missing a few on the Cohos Trail in NH- Panorama, Baldface, and Old Hermit. They may be building a new one in Dixville Notch soon as well. There's also a weird old one on Kim Nielson's property that hikers can use and whose name I cannot recall. One on Mt. Grace in Massachusetts on the Metacomet-Monadnock Trail that is in disrepair, could be more. Lastly, the Windmill Hill/Pinnacle association in Putney Vermont maintains a shelter on top of the Pinnacle in Westminster, used to be a cabin, now three-sided.