BLM & Graham - 01/13/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
Decided to take a personal day from work and go for a hike. Climbed Balsam Lake and Graham Mountains in the Catskills. The temperature was 28F when I began the hike at 9am, but warmed up throughout the day to 42F by the time I arrived back at the car. Way too warm for January, and I hesitate to even count these two for winter.

Little to no snow at the trailhead, except for the mounds where the snow plow piled it up. Along the initial section of trail, there were several icy sections, but all easily avoided. Things changed at around 3000 feet elevation. The ice became much more prevalent, and more snow appeared. Wore microspikes from this point on, and they stayed on most of the day. The summit ridge of Balsam Lake had several inches of snow and lots of ice, and the drifts were occasionally close to a foot. Even more snow on the north side of Graham, and much more ice as well.

Although the temps were well above seasonal, the wind was howling at the summits. I only made it about halfway up the firetower. It felt like I was gonna get blown off. The open summit of Graham was even windier. Thankfully, the lee side of the old repeater building provided shelter for lunch.

The water at the spring near the lean-to on BLM was flowing nicely. I found what looked like a new water bottle lying on the ground, along with snack wrappers. Shortly before the summit, found another newish looking water bottle. Carried it all out, and left the water bottles at the sign-in register in case someone is looking for them.

Not another car in the parking lot, and didn’t see a soul all day. One of the advantages of hiking mid-week.

Rob, got any more personal days you'd like to burn? Hoping we'll hit some of the CHHs this spring when Toby begins with the more gradual ones. In the meantime, wanna grab a couple of 200's sometime ?

Alan

Finally uploaded the PHOTOS

I've got plenty of personal & vacation time Alan. Looking forward to hiking more of the CHH this spring with you and Toby. The 200's are great too .... just let me know.

Might as well count it, you'll hike one day in October or November in winter-like conditions & be unable to consider it winter.

Very true Mike. I'm sure most of us have hiked plenty of peaks in non-winter months that were in winter conditions. I attempted to climb Armstrong last May after the Memorial Day weekend snowfall. Spring-like conditions down low, ..... but several feet of snow up high. Came within a few tenths of a mile of the summit but had to abort the climb as I passed my planned turn-around time. Tough, tiring day! But still a great day.