Mt Washington via Tuckerman Ravine and Lion Head (winter route) Trails - 1/19

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: January 19, 2014

Trail Conditions: The blowdown I reported a week ago on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail has been cleared. Thanks, that was fast! The trail was wide with a good snow pack, even as the snow was falling. What with the snow cat, the snow rangers' snowmobiles, and all that foot traffic. No wonder it's so packed out and so quickly. The upper portion, the 0.4 from the cairn to the parking lot (I mean summit), was also nice and snowy, but less packed out due to drifting. Pretty soft footing for the most part, especially when compared to what it's been like. And it was building while we hiked since there was a blizzard afoot -- we were in whiteout conditions. Lion Head winter route was also getting more snow-covered. What was ice and rock a week ago is now getting filled in nicely. We went up and back via this route. We spoke with Chris Joosen (snow ranger) today about the summer route and, as we suspected, it was probably okay in the morning, but more dangerous as time passed, the wind did its work, and more snow fell. Last note: The first pitch on the steeps, the "Hillary Step," now has a new rope installed. There was one there last week, then it was removed, now a new one (decked out with handy alpine butterfly knots) showed up today. Thanks, whoever.

Special Equipment Used: We brought trekking poles, ice axes, small spikes, crampons, even a hand rope. We used it all. Snowshoes were not needed, though they could be used more comfortably now and might have been useful on the last pitch to the top. That said, skinning up will now be excellent. Not sure about coming down the Sherburne, yet, but I suspect it'd be decent and fun, anyway.

Comments: Hiked this one as lead for my work. Great group, fun times, exciting conditions.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
North Conway NH

Update: 1/20/14 - Brought another client up today (and we summited) and we didn't even bring spikes. They aren't really needed on TRT (ice mostly covered) so we barebooted. We still used crampons on Lion Head Trail, of course.