Mount Garfield via Mount Garfield Trail and Garfield Ridge Trails (19 January 2014)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: trails had a nice layer of snow covering most of the way but it was very thin. What started as a half inch covering ice at lower elevations increased to an inch or two near the ridge and to a few more inches on the ridge. Trails were not slippery as the snow cover made for nice traction. Post holing was not as issue as there was no depth to speak of. It was actually an easy surface to walk. There were about 7 blow downs concentrated in the lower half. 5 are walk unders that will not be an issue unless we get a few feet of snow. The others were easy step overs. none required going off trail. The crossings were unbridged but were rock hoppable with care. Blazes are few and far between but the corridor is obvious.

Equipment: I carried crampons as my only traction. They never came out. Poles, which I only use half the time were helpful. Temps and wind were mild until the summit itself where strong winds and blowing, stinging snow made things interesting. Otherwise I carried what I needed for the night, but used little.

Comments: other than two snowshoers I saw on the actual loop road, I saw no evidence of other people today. Trails were empty and 'unbroken' ahead of me and no one came in after apparently. Snow was falling nicely for much of the day but the accumulation was minor, although it made for a beautiful day in the forest with snow-laden trees and minor white outs when the wind whipped the snow off the trees. Started at 10:30 or so and came out at 5:00. I had broken views of Owls Head and Galehead but the Franconia ridge stayed covered in grey. #44/48 in my Solo W48.

3 blowdown shave been removed. The remaining ones will require more than a folding pruning saw.

A bit of snow has fallen since yesterday but 3 of 4 of us bare booted all day.

Tim