New Presidential for you peakbaggers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20 feet of prominence?
DSC_0203.JPG

Edit: To be fair. It does have quite the view.

Is the "g" in Agiocochook hard or soft? I haven't heard it pronounced, and I'm wondering whether it's hard, like Agamenticus.

There are several new editions to the list of 4000 footers on the Peakbagger list for this year. I printed a fresh copy for my winter 4k list in November and noticed many of the older non-200 ft prominence named peaks had been deleted and replaced with new ones. In many cases the ones they deleted had more prominence than the ones they added. Not sure how they go about generating these lists. If they are going to count every lump with 9' of prominence the 4000 footer list is going to get pretty large!

Clean Prominence: 9 ft/3 m
Optimistic Prominence: 28 ft/9 m
Line Parent: Ball Crag
Key Col: 5709 ft/1740 m

9 - 28 feet :)
LoJ says average of 59', correct as it has 3 contours, so "clean" ~ 40' and "optimistic" ~ 80'

Note that 1770m contour on USGS map is mislabeled

Agiocochook (center left) as seen from Ball Crag?
I was up there this past August to get Clay & Washington then Ball and Nelson Crags for my own list (a modification of Eric Savage's NH T3000 list.) I remember being surprised that the prominent bump (Agiocochook?) between Ball and Nelson wasn't named on my map.

IMG_7292.jpg

Last edited:
I am a little confused... Is this a new mountain on the AMC 4000 list? Or does it not count?

Speaking of this, it's interesting this question of required prominence. Lincoln and South Hancock don't have 200', but are on the list. I understand that Lincoln is both a beautiful mountain and a sentimental favorite, and it's close to 200'. I guess its optimistic prominence is listed as 209', but it's clean prominence is 169'. So. Hancock's optimistic prominence is listed as 199', clean is 160'.

I can understand how Lincoln and South Hancock are listed, but what I don't get is why Guyot, with optimistic prominence at 240' and clean at 160', matching South H and close to Lincoln, is not. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Optimistic and clean prominence apply when determining values from a topo map, but don't we have real, measured values for these peaks?

Optimistic and clean prominence apply when determining values from a topo map, but don't we have real, measured values for these peaks?

It's relevant to the col. 4000-footer rule is to interpolate between the contours (so mean of optimistic and clean prominence), but the current effective rule is "clear in or out." So list stands, barring 200' of clean prominence to get on or under 200' of optimistic prominence to go off. I think South Hancock in particular is considered sentimental more than anything.

The source for this is my poor memory from somebody's post, probably here! So here's some salt....

I can understand how Lincoln and South Hancock are listed, but what I don't get is why Guyot, with optimistic prominence at 240' and clean at 160', matching South H and close to Lincoln, is not. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Tradition.