Hiking partner

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unlikely hiker

Reaction score
I am 64 years old and have been hiking for a number of years. I have found that most of my hiking friends have decided to give up hiking. I have found myself hiking solo most of the time, however, I would love to find someone to hike with or even several others. I am not a big group hiker - I like a bit of peace and quiet. I hike weekends and during the week when able. I am SLOW - I average 1 mile an hour which is fine with me. I plan my hikes accordingly. I hike all four seasons. If there is another slow hiker out there that would like to have company i would love to meet up.

Hi I am interested in hiking with you! I tend to hike on the slower side and try to hike every other weekend.I also am not a fan of big groups for hiking. Why don't you leave me a message under Mountain49.
Julie

Hi, I am on the slower side as well and do not like large groups. Mostly I hike alone, well, with my dog, but it might be nice to meet up with fellow mellow hikers. I live in Maine, so may not be easy to coordinate.

Hello, Unlikely. Please PM me. I'm two years your junior, AT 2000-miler by the trailname terrapin 'cuz I'm not into hiking speed records. 1 mph. is fine for the Whites. I'm in Bedford, MA, work near Manchester, NH, and get every other Friday off. Whoopee!

I know enough about winter hiking and camping to know that it's best done with a partner, and not really safe without (just my opinion.) I've done a handful of 4000 footers in winter, almost all of 'em some decade or other, Franconia ridge I dunno how many times. My hiking partner of the last two seasons has moved on to other pursuits.

Hello, Unlikely. Please PM me. I'm two years your junior, AT 2000-miler by the trailname terrapin 'cuz I'm not into hiking speed records. 1 mph. is fine for the Whites. I'm in Bedford, MA, work near Manchester, NH, and get every other Friday off. Whoopee!

I know enough about winter hiking and camping to know that it's best done with a partner, and not really safe without (just my opinion.) I've done a handful of 4000 footers in winter, almost all of 'em some decade or other, Franconia ridge I dunno how many times. My hiking partner of the last two seasons has moved on to other pursuits.

I'm also a pretty slow hiker, which is why I hike solo a lot -- I'm pretty much always in the back of any group. This winter has been tough for me on the 'planning' side, so I haven't gotten out much, which means I'm even more out of shape than usual. I've got my fingers crossed that I can get out this Saturday. I'm pondering the Kinsmans, but am somewhat flexible.

Put me on your PM list for any time you're available to go.

And Mountain49 is a great hiking partner, we're about the same speed.

Hey Rafe, I'm also in Bedford MA, I suspect we know each other IRL, since there can't be that many Rafe's in this town....

I like it; "Fellow mellow hikers" :)

I am interested in hiking with a small (less than five) group as well, for all the same reasons. I am slow but I always get there. I don't like feeling pressured or obliged to keep up. Like you guys, I hike solo a lot because of it. I stop, sit, look and listen a lot - I know a lot about the woods and that is why. Not a peak bagger. I'm pushing 60, prefer to listen to the woods rather than talk all the way. Been leading hikes for a long time. I'm really mellow and flexible. Did a hike with some peak-baggers last week, and it wasn't much fun, honestly. I get out about every two weeks, rain or shine, into the Whites mostly. Enjoy exploring new places, meet a lot of wildlife. I like to be out all day, with an early start. The only downside to hiking solo is the driving, so carpooling is a benefit (I live in Lexington, Mass.)
If you are interested, I am happy to organize something.