Zealand & Hale Advice Please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffAm1

Reaction score
Hi, need some help – a few friends and I want to camp somewhere off of the Zealand Trail. Any decent locations or semi-established spots anyone could suggest?
Also going to try and peak Mt. Hale - not having hiked either, does anyone have good (or bad) things to say about ‘Hale Brook’ and ‘Lend a Hand’ trails?
Thank you!!

I'm not sure of the camping regulations but it's relatively flat around the Zealand Tr. Hale Brook and Lend A Hand make for a good loop over Hale. The hut is open in the winter so it makes another destination to stop at along the way.

Both trails are really well maintained. There is a huge 'stelth site' near Ethan Pond trail junction that a lot of AT people use.

Thanks TJsName, do you happen to know if that site close to or around Zealand Pond, or closer to the A-Z Trail junction?
Thank you!

Thinking camping near the A-Z junction would be within the 1/4 mile no camping zone around the hut. Zealand is a flat trail in a flat area near plenty of water. Don't know your plans but you could go up Hale Brook and camp outside the quarter mile protection zone on Lend-a-hand trail which is pretty open and fairly flat. (Just not compared to the Zealand trail)

Thanks TJsName, do you happen to know if that site close to or around Zealand Pond, or closer to the A-Z Trail junction?
Thank you!

I believe it is just past the sign, but I have not personally been to it. I noticed a few of the obviously taboo sites between A-Z are being revegitated. This site is further south near the Ethan Pond trail.

Where the AT & the Zeacliff trail meet (at the open area below Whitewall Mountain) there are many excellent campsites along the river - just head a short distance down the Zeacliff Trail then follow the paths leading left, there are several great places to camp within two or three minutes walk

Thanks everyone for the excellent Intel - very much appreciated - have a great rest of the week and nice weekend!

Go south south east past the trail up tot he hut and head into the beggining of zealand notch. Look down on right in section of woods with very open understory: legal site with huge flat for 4 tents and water access down the hill and coming down the hilside. Thats on the beggining of the ethan pond trail. Need to be careful with food though, even mid winter; at least 2 bears make rounds to the hut occasionally and one semi regularly and one of them is not afraid of people.Lend a hand is beautiful but can be long and monotonous and tiring. has no water except stagnant in summer. Hale brook is easy, but the switchbacks are a little annoying and this winter, the water may not be running till down much lower, but you may be able to get aggressive with a pointed rock and find a trickle under ice to drop a filter hose in. Hale is a great winter peak, but its grown in up top over the years and is good in late season when snowbase is high. as with all the peaks from cannon over across to Tom, that area is alwats colder than the middle and south areas, is exposed to the northwest canadian wind and has less daytime sun warmth, unless your on lend a hand where the average height, average breeze and tree cover will negate largely. Zeacliff is always worth a stop in and a good alternative till later when snowpack on hale is higher. no shortage of sites on Zealand Trail, especially with snowpack.

Last edited:
Maybe a few tenths before the A-Z junction there's a small slope on your right hand side when walking in; watch for a herd path.
I believe that to be legit (outside the FPA).