CAUTION for people who hike with dogs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had the same bottle for years and it had Gryffin tossing in less than 10 minutes. It still foams like mad on any cut, or in one's ear, and still bleaches clothes. FWIW. YMMV. Etc.

14.7868 mL = 1 tablespoon, so the numbers line up - 1 tablespoon for 15 pounds.

Tim

I have had the same bottle for years and it had Gryffin tossing in less than 10 minutes. It still foams like mad on any cut, or in one's ear, and still bleaches clothes. FWIW. YMMV. Etc.

Tim

No quibble - I just know from experience in the lab arena that it can degrade probably depending on exposure to air. But if foams in a cut, it's fine. I was just concerned that some might keep a small amount in their emergency kit for long periods.

Thanks so much for posting this, I never knew about this danger. My Irish Setter eats stuff all the time and won't ever give it up. What a heart wrenching story.

Tim, what were those Bob's bottles you were describing earlier?
I assume that since hydrogen peroxide is mostly water, it also freezes at 32 degrees?

Very glad so many have been reading this thread. Makes me feel better knowing it might save someone else from heartbreak.

I only shared a painful subject to keep another loved dog from having the same thing happen so excuse me if I don't want to get into jump into a further discussion about it. But yes, 2 vets are positive and so are the veterinary animal toxicology experts at Cornell.

I Really don't know how to respond to this. I can't tell you how sad I was to read this heartbreaking story. I am so sorry this happened to you. I love dogs and I dream of the day that I will have my own so we can go hiking together. To have this happen to you while you were hiking with your best friend just made me want to cry.

Our black lab puppy, Toby will be four months old soon. Her great grandmother was Bookah's mom.
Other than leashing her to and from the car or where there is potential danger, 98% of her exercise is off leash in nearby woods, fields and trails.

A lovely connection to Bookah...

Thanks, all.
Toby is out every day now in the snow. 2-4 miles, often longer. Busting thru the deep snow, chasing sticks and snowballs, running and wrestling with the big dogs she meets.
She is a wonderful puppy and is doing her best to fill some big paw prints. As a good friend said a little while back, Bookah must be smiling.

Dear Alan-Despite having known this story for several months now, and our consequent correspondence, this story still rips my heart out. Once again, I am so sorry for you and your family and the loss of Bookah. Judy and I have recently come across hunters baiting coyote just across the pond from us. I avoided confrontation because I am sure I could not have held my emotions in check. With the reminder of this horror story and worst nightmare for any dog owner, I will be reporting this to F&G. I don't care if it is legal or not, in my mind it is an unethical treatment of wildlife…

KDT

If you can do it without a confrontation - try and get a sample of the bait for analysis.
Certain poisons are illegal without strong reasons and paperwork. In NYS, for example, strychnine use without difficult-to-obtain permits is a felony.
Not a day goes by that I don't miss Bookah or imagine her running in the woods we often shared.