Tripyramids via Pine Bend Brook Trail - 2/1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: February 1, 2014

Trail Conditions: Conditions were virtually the same down low as they were at elevation, there was slightly more snow up high. That's it. All trails were packed out pretty well making travel with light traction possible. There was a few inches of looser unconsolidated snow on top of the packed base. We did don crampons on the steeper sections and ended up just leaving them on until we got back down to the flats, but the absolute need for them was moderately low. There were several blowdowns, mostly duck-unders. All easy. One needs to be cleared a bit more -- had I brought my Sven saw I would have taken care of it. Also easy were the crossings; they were bridged almost fully and presented no real danger or challenge.

Special Equipment Used: We brought trekking poles, light traction, and crampons. We used it all. Snowshoes were not really required, per se, though they could be used and might be beneficial on parts of the trail. They'd aid traction in the looser stuff on the surface (plus heel lifts are always nice). Post-holing was not an issue.

Comments: Hiked this one as lead for the AMC NH Chapter. We had a terrific hike on a beautiful day in balmy weather. What's not to like?

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
North Conway NH