hale via firewardens trail saturday feb 8

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerfast

Reaction score
me bobc and michele want to go up hale by firewardens trail. we have seen trip reports, and been up there years ago, but wondered if anyone who KNOWS the way would like to join us. we plan on starting at the unearthly hour of 10 am saturday. don't know if trail is broken out, i remember having to be careful at a turn up in the birch glades. if we don't get a bite we will probably do tecumseh.

A friend and I plan to hike Hale via FWT Saturday morning. We plan to be on trail around 9. Neither of us have hiked FWT before but are confident in the directions and route. Hopefully you can follow our tracks if you end up going that way.

I guess hikerfast didn't trust me when I said I could find the trail (I did this hike last winter). :cool:

Well, at least we'll have Kyle D's tracks to follow so my memory and route-finding skills won't have to be put to the test. :D

I would like to join you. I have done the route a couple of times. The biggest issue is following the actual trail as the skiers tend to ski between the switchbacks. I will PM contact info to Bob and Hiker fast. There are some spots of overhanging branches so be ready for an occasional snow dump down the neck.

Went last weekend, missed the left onto the FW, the dog tried to tell me but I didn't listen. I overshot by a little bit but came back to my senses...the trail itself is completely easy to follow, obvious even......there was a lot of blown snow about 100 feet before the summit but again, pretty obvious where to go!! Enjoy!

The only trick is to not miss the left turn away from the river, it kind of doubles back after a tree.
Should be pretty obvious after the recent snow.
Paradox probably has a Wiki Tracks download.

EDIT: Or what Marysgirl said ;) .

that turn and there is (was) a fork a mile or two above that. i did it in the summer years ago. if its broken out in one direction(up to the top) it should be obvious. if not maybe it will be like apollo 13. haha. we have the fearless mr peakbagger with us. we should be good

Since Bob C knew I was on it a week ago this past Thursday he may have given me a call.:rolleyes: This are the coordinates of the turn off the crossing bypass to the start of the firewardens. N44 13.550 W71 32.285 On the way out I specifically looked for any distinguishing landmarks for future reference but saw nothing. This was as soon as I made the turn.
IMG_1688.JPG

Petty easy to follow.
IMG_1701.JPG

I saw no evidence of skiers then. I did 2 bushwhacks off the trail and there just was not enough snow. And I only went as far as the height of land, or a little past it, before it makes a southerly turn for the last 1/4ish mile to the summit. I whacked to North Hale.

Since they're starting so late, :confused: ;) , maybe someone with a smart phone will take one more look here before heading out. I know BobC has a GPS

The disclaimer is the last storm. But the corridor I saw, should be easier to follow in winter than some official trails. Actually, I guess I should send BobC a text.:)

had a nice hike. we found the firewardens trail with no difficulty thanks to peakbagger, there were quite a few people going up it. parking was not a problem at the end of little river road. trail broken out. we had a late start and some time constraints so we went about 3/4 way up and called it a day. It was a beautiful day to be out. I look forward to going back there soon.