Poll: Which Of The 10 Essentials Do You Carry?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of the 10 Essentials Do You Carry? (see first post)

• Map

Votes: 103 96.3%
  • Compass

Votes: 93 86.9%
  • Warm Clothing (not cotton)

Votes: 99 92.5%
  • Extra Food and Water

Votes: 99 92.5%
  • Flashlight or Headlamp

Votes: 105 98.1%
  • Matches/Firestarters

Votes: 87 81.3%
  • First Aid/Repair Kit

Votes: 96 89.7%
  • Whistle

Votes: 81 75.7%
  • Rain/Wind Jacket and Pants

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • Pocket Knife

Votes: 92 86.0%

• Total voters

Raven

Reaction score
Here are the 10 Essentials as listed by the HikeSafe website (from WMNF and NHF&G) for hiking specifically in the White Mountains of New Hampshire:

1.Map
2.Compass
3.Warm Clothing (NOT cotton)
4.Extra Food and Water
5.Flashlight or Headlamp
6.Matches/Firestarters
7.First Aid Kit/Repair Kit
8.Whistle
9. Rain/Wind Jacket & Pants
10.Pocket Knife

We have peridically discussed a publication on hiker safety/HikeSafe (link below). The intent of this poll is to get a sense of which of these items are carried into the northeast mountains by VFTT members in all hiking areas, not only the WMNF. Some specifics:

If you carry these things almost all of the time, then choose them in the poll. Forgetting something periodically is not a reason not to choose it so long as you would usually have it with you whether summer, spring, winter or fall. Choose all the items you carry - multiple responses are allowed and expected.

Solo or group consideration: if solo, you must have all items. If you hike in a group and always know for a fact that there is a map and compass with the group if you don't have one, that is acceptable to check off, but all other items should be with you personally.

Map and compass for this poll means map and compass, not a GPS. Otherwise use your judgment as to what things like warm clothing and extra food and water mean.

Feel free to justify responses and discuss the merits of items on and absent from the list. I know you all will. :)

http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=gear-list

http://news.brown.edu/pressreleases/2013/05/hikers

I carry these things and have for a long time so I chose all of them. To be clear, I sometimes do not have rain pants in summer, but if not I always have a waterproof emergency bivy sack that would cover my whole body if necessary, so I consider that an appropriate substitute for the poll. Waterproof layers is the point.

Being near water at all times on a hike is equivalent to having extra water regardless of treatment options. No one is going to likely die in 48 hours from untreated water, so I don't consider that a necessity for survival Having water nearby is enough. You may pay for it later.

I hope this poll works out the way I have set up the multiple choice options - it may be interesting to see which items are most often skipped if any.

I chose the map but I don't always carry one on places I've been to a dozen or more times, especially ones with limited options. (Franconia Ridge for example or Bear in CT or Greylock) Because of the many options in the Northern Presidentials, I continue to bring a map.

Not sure what extra food and water would be, or warm clothing, but I checked them anyway. I think I always have a windbreaker/rain coat tied around my waist if it’s warm enough that I don’t need to wear a jacket otherwise. This time of year, I’m wearing everything already, so there’s nothing extra to simply carry.

I always have some granola bars and trail mix in my pack, which I may or may not eat during the hike, so I suppose that makes it extra. I also carry a couple of peanut butter sandwiches — made the night before — that I eat during the hike. Also a chocolate chip cookie and maybe some baby whole carrots or an apple. I don’t bring along freeze-dried dinners or a stove or anything like that. I just use a Mountainsmith Day pack; can’t bear anything on my back except during the winter, when I’ll use a Sierra Club pack with leather straps and buckles to carry my snowshoes.

I have two 40-ounce water bottles. One with a neoprene cover that rides in my right-hand pack pocket, the other in an insulated jacket inside the pack. Last year I also had a bottle of Special K protein drink in there, too.

My first-aid kit is just some moleskin and bandages, but I figured that counts, despite no splints or aspirin or snake-bite kit. There’s a knife in there, too. No repair kit, though. I do have a space blanket, and two compasses, plus the GPS and spare batteries. A flashlight in my pocket and at least one headlamp in the pack. A plastic whistle I’ve had a long time. I used to have one of those red blinking lights hanging on the back of the pack, but it fell off somewhere on Mount Huntington, and while I now have another one, it stays in my camera bag, which I don’t bring along when I’m using the fanny pack.

Those new AMC maps are too thick to carry, so I use my old ones. The old four-color ones, not the old brown ones from decades ago. The map is in a zip-lock bag in my pants pocket, so I can easily pull it out when I need to and it doesn’t get wet.

The first time I climbed the Tripyramids, I forgot my map, but I’d studied it well enough before leaving that I knew what to do when I bailed on the north slide when the rocks were too wet. Just returned to the road and continued up it a short distance to the other trail. That’s probably the most memorable time I forgot the map.

Not sure what extra food and water would be, or warm clothing, but I checked them anyway. I think I always have a windbreaker/rain coat tied around my waist if it’s warm enough that I don’t need to wear a jacket otherwise. This time of year, I’m wearing everything already, so there’s nothing extra to simply carry.

I always have some granola bars and trail mix in my pack, which I may or may not eat during the hike, so I suppose that makes it extra. I also carry a couple of peanut butter sandwiches — made the night before — that I eat during the hike. Also a chocolate chip cookie and maybe some baby whole carrots or an apple. I don’t bring along freeze-dried dinners or a stove or anything like that. I just use a Mountainsmith Day pack; can’t bear anything on my back except during the winter, when I’ll use a Sierra Club pack with leather straps and buckles to carry my snowshoes.

I have two 40-ounce water bottles. One with a neoprene cover that rides in my right-hand pack pocket, the other in an insulated jacket inside the pack. Last year I also had a bottle of Special K protein drink in there, too.

My first-aid kit is just some moleskin and bandages, but I figured that counts, despite no splints or aspirin or snake-bite kit. There’s a knife in there, too. No repair kit, though. I do have a space blanket, and two compasses, plus the GPS and spare batteries. A flashlight in my pocket and at least one headlamp in the pack. A plastic whistle I’ve had a long time. I used to have one of those red blinking lights hanging on the back of the pack, but it fell off somewhere on Mount Huntington, and while I now have another one, it stays in my camera bag, which I don’t bring along when I’m using the fanny pack.

Those new AMC maps are too thick to carry, so I use my old ones. The old four-color ones, not the old brown ones from decades ago. The map is in a zip-lock bag in my pants pocket, so I can easily pull it out when I need to and it doesn’t get wet.

The first time I climbed the Tripyramids, I forgot my map, but I’d studied it well enough before leaving that I knew what to do when I bailed on the north slide when the rocks were too wet. Just returned to the road and continued up it a short distance to the other trail. That’s probably the most memorable time I forgot the map.

The HikeSafe list has some room for personal interpretation. I would suggest that things like extra food, extra water, contents of first aid/repair kit, and extra (non-cotton) clothing are at the discretion of the hiker.

If you feel you have an adequate first aid/repair kit, or have what you consider extra food, water, and warm clothing, then you are in the best position to make that determination. For those three things, there is a lot of flexibility. The other 7 items are pretty clear. People can use their own judgment on the three flexible options and can feel free to use the spirit of the rule where appropriate.

I carry all of those items plus a GPS with topo software which has most if not all of the trails on it and....spare batteries. As far as the Whites are concerned I have saved tracts for all of the 48. For that reason when hiking in the Whites I rarely, if ever, referred to the paper map as I had what I needed on my GPS.

I carry all of those items plus a GPS with topo software which has most if not all of the trails on it and....spare batteries. As far as the Whites are concerned I have saved tracts for all of the 48. For that reason when hiking in the Whites I rarely, if ever, referred to the paper map as I had what I needed on my GPS.

Great. For reference for the thread, this is copied from the HikeSafe website:

"A GPS works like a compass: best with a map. Always have a compass as a backup." (some lines removed)

My objective interpretation is that a GPS would not substitute for a map and compass but certainly would provide useful information as long as the other two items were also with you. Sounds like you've got all of that and more, Ed.

I believe in the Georgia mountains you're roaming now, the eleventh item on the list is sausage gravy (which is definitely an essential.) ;) :)

Last edited:
I do not carry a pocket knife, but answered yes. I carry a large survival knife instead. I also rarely carry maps in the Whites or a guide for that matter, its all in my head!

Surprisingly I do carry all of the above items. I don't carry the rain pants in my summer pack if it's not supposed to rain but I always have the jacket. By warm clothes I assume warm for the season. I try to alwaysi have one extra layer than what I need. For extra food, as long as I return with something I consider it extra. The same with water, or I carry a filter. On a side note, the whistle was the last of the items that I acquired but I can see it's value. I carry the same items whether solo or with a group.

Hi all,

I generally do not carry a pocket knife due to the fact I have hardly ever used one while on a hike. I do keep a very small knock-off Spiderco in all my packs, which I primarily use to cut into plastic packaging. I see the inherent value of having a blade in a survival scenario but more times than not I don't carry one on a routine, well-traveled hike. Obviously any hike that requires rescue is not "routine" and the unforeseen is why we all carry extra gear.

I have never bought a whistle for my pack but my two most used packs have built in whistles on the chest strap.

I did in fact click on the extra food because I am on the same page as IQuest. If I didn't eat everything stashed in my pack than by default I had some extra nourishment.

A headlamp is a non-negotiable for me. I ALWAYS have a light source. If things should go wrong the most likely scenario is that I will be in the woods after dark. Therefore, IMHO, a light source is critical.

Be well,

Z :D

Last edited:
Everything (with the exception of rain pants) and then some ! I carry A LOT, sometimes even on "routine hikes". I do solo hike often (not typically in winter, but sometimes) and I always want to have anything I may need for first aid, clothing, repair, emergency situation, etc. Some of my gear is very specifically and well-chosen, but sometimes I think I just feel better if I have extra stuff "in case" .... Call it the "Linus factor" :eek: ; yup, I do like security blankets :D.
Oh, and I truly question the actual use of a whistle in the wilderness except in very specific scenarios ..... but, seriously, what does that weigh?!! So, could be helpful in a rescue situation and can't really hurt, so why not have one, right?? :)

I do not carry a pocket knife, but answered yes. I carry a large survival knife instead. I also rarely carry maps in the Whites or a guide for that matter, its all in my head!
I also carry a large knife in lieu of a pocket knife ... and have found it indispenseable on a number of occasions ... come to think of it, I also carry a pen knife on my key chain ... have to remember to leave it behind when I get screened in govt bldgs etc. Hope they don't start screening us at the trailhead.

My extra clothing for warmth/wind/rain are one and the same in the best days of summer but increase as weather gets cooler and wetter.

Carry maps and stuff in my head? No ... just the memories ... it's too easy to loose stuff there.

I'd be curious why anyone would not carry the whole list for any hike into the mountains?

Last edited:
Pretty much all the same is carried with me. Any additions depend on the nature of the trek and weather. I might add a small silnylon tarp and a few yards of 550 paracord. For water I have for many years used a small bottle of Polarpure. Usually I go home with a little leftover extra food. As a solo bushwhacker I am never without knowledge of the expected terrain from pre-trip map study, and usually carry an extra backup compass. Sometimes I might take a small metal mug that would work for heating water in a pinch. A large lightweight garbage bag might go too, as it could, among other uses, for example be made into a sleeping bag stuffed with dry leaves. When I am moving I tend to be very warm and don't wear much, so an extra layer of clothing for when I am not active goes along as well.

Last edited:
Great. For reference for the thread, this is copied from the HikeSafe website:

"A GPS works like a compass: best with a map. Always have a compass as a backup." (some lines removed)

My objective interpretation is that a GPS would not substitute for a map and compass but certainly would provide useful information as long as the other two items were also with you. Sounds like you've got all of that and more, Ed.
GPS features vary by device. Some have the ability to load detailed topo maps, so if you do so you have less need for a paper map. [Although I believe that commercial GPS maps are generally less accurate than paper maps.] Some won't display your coords so to know where you are numerically you need to set a waypoint. Some car GPS won't set waypoints, and won't navigate to a coord but only to a street address.

The same can be said for maps, I leave a map of the whole White Mtns in my pack so I always have one if F&G get nosy but if I trying to go anywhere complex I bring a more detailed map. [What would F&G say to a world map or a map of Yosemite as meeting the 10 essentials :)

I carry a poncho instead of a rain suit in summer but checked yes

I always carry the 10 essentials. Maybe the BSA's "Be Prepared" mantra hasn't faded from this old Eagle Scout's memory, unlike a lot of other things. The only ones I've never had occasion to use are the whistle and fire starters.

After reading the thread prompted by the Brown University "study", I began to question the validity of the list, and thought about what could be pared down. However, if not having that grocery list in your pack can be construed by the Authorities Having Jurisdiction as negligence, I'll just keep on packing it in.

I generally don't carry a knife, although I have carried a hatchet, loppers, and saw on occasion. My packs have a built in whistle on the check straps, so that one is tough to forget. Everything else is pretty much along for the ride with occasional use on day hikes.

Depends on the forecasted weather, long and short term, who I am with, and what the itinerary is. I don't carry a map often, as the areas I tend to go to now I know the trails and terrain well enough. If it's going to be sunny and 80's for a couple of days, I may forego a jacket and extra clothing. But, I will wear a cotton T-shirt (helps me cool down).

Hard to answer this as an "all the time" answer...

My packs have a built in whistle on the check straps, so that one is tough to forget. Everything else is pretty much along for the ride with occasional use on day hikes.
IMO, those small whistles built into pack straps aren't worth much. Since my accident, I have carried a Storm Whistle which claims to be the loudest whistle on the market. http://www.stormwhistles.com/storm.html

The Fox 40 whistle is also very loud and is a bit smaller and lighter than the above. http://www.fox40world.com/index.cfm?pagePath=PRODUCTS/WHISTLES/Classic&id=55982

Some whistles stop functioning if they get water in them--make sure yours will work after being submerged in water.

Note 1: The sound from lower pitched (larger) whistles carries farther than that from higher (smaller) pitched whistles.

Note 2: Cover your ears before using or testing these whistles--they are loud enough to cause ear damage.

Doug

Last edited:
Had a conversation on the trail this weekend and we were thinking that fire starting gear should probably be replaced with an emergency bivy sack. The point of the fire is warmth, but if you find yourself injured or in conditions where getting a fire started is difficult, you might be better off having the bivy sack for warmth. Or do we expect people to build signal fires?