Joe English Hill Legal?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surf88

Reaction score
Anybody know what the legal status is of hiking Joe English Hill from Summit Drive in New Boston NH? I've seen a few TRs pop up around the web lately and would like to go check it out since its very close to me. When we were kids we used to Rock climb on the cliffs on the other side of the hill until military personnel would come kick us out, but as I said that was on the other side of the hill and also pre 9/11 era.

I used to access it from the old road across from the antique cape on Joe English Road, but wouldn't go that way now because of all the "new" houses in those woods. I've never heard of a problem going up from the Summit Drive access. Is there still a cul-de-sac for parking there?

I would recommend parking on Joe English Road just slightly north of the Meadow Road intersection and then whack east through the woods. That's how we used to go to climb at the cliffs. No one cared as long as you didn't park at the gate on Meadow Road. That's a sure visit from the New Boston police, which the base security calls if there are cars parked on Meadow Road near the gate.

I climbed from Summit road in June. Parked at the cul-de-sac. Hiked the dirt road / driveway for about .1 miles then followed a 4x4 trail to the summit. No issues.

I climbed from Summit road in June. Parked at the cul-de-sac. Hiked the dirt road / driveway for about .1 miles then followed a 4x4 trail to the summit. No issues.
Thanks. No No Trespassing sign or the like I assume?

I would recommend parking on Joe English Road just slightly north of the Meadow Road intersection and then whack east through the woods. That's how we used to go to climb at the cliffs. No one cared as long as you didn't park at the gate on Meadow Road. That's a sure visit from the New Boston police, which the base security calls if there are cars parked on Meadow Road near the gate.
Whens the last time you climbed there? I used to love climbing Joe English The last time I got kicked out of there was about 1995.

Last edited:
Whens the last time you climbed there? I used to love climbing Joe English The last time I got kicked out of there was about 1995.

Probably 2003-2004. Used to go several times a year and we even put up a route there. Fun place. The way security used to work (and may still) was that the base security did not care if you were just hiking/climbing and were not in view. But if they saw you, they would ask you to leave. If they need to, they can call New Boston police. It was one of the first times in the latter 90's that we got "caught" and had a friendly conversation with the security guy. He basically said "If I don't know you're here and you are low key, then I won't bother you. But if you are conspicuous, then I am required to ask you to leave and will call the cops if you don't." That was when we didn't know better and parked in plain view of the Meadow Road gate. I haven't been for about 10 years so have no idea if their policy has changed, but I would doubt it.

BTW, disclaimer re: UXO. I don't know if they ever completely cleaned it all up but was always told the official reason why the base is off limits to the public is because it was a bomb range way, way back and in theory there can still be unexploded ordnance on the grounds. So pass at your own risk.

Last edited:
Obey the No Parking sign or get a $10 ticket

Thanks everyone I cant wait to go up now. Its literally less than 5 miles from my house and haven't been up yet because I have just assumed that the whole hill was restricted all along.

I have asked this question on the New Boston Facebook page and learned that the property is privately owned but hikers are not restricted in any way. Be careful at the summit, though, because the Air Force Tracking Station still has strict rules about being on land they own and haven't granted public access.