Squam Lake trails - Cotton Mountain - Sunday 2/16 or Bald Peak/Artist Bluff ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Heading up Sunday evening for a hike on Monday. Bringing two kids with little snowshoe experience and another adult with little snowshoe experience.

With the snowfall Thursday and Friday, will Cotton be well broken out on Saturday so Sunday hikers might not need snowshoes? If not, what about Bald Peak/Artist Bluff?

Monday were likely doing Willard which I expect will be broken out. We will have snowshoes just in case but I don't think people will be up to two days of snowshoeing.

No idea as to whether those will broken out but you might want to consider West Rattlesnake, which is near Cotton Mtn. That's a very popular hike in the other 3 seasons, not sure about winter, but I would think it has a better chance of being broken out than Cotton Mtn.

I'd bet Bald and Artist will require some sort of traction even if they are broken out.
While they are nice, short hikes, they are scrambly/exposed in spots.

My wife and I hiked the Old Highway (Burleigh side), Old Mountain Road and a mile (east) on the Crawford-Ridgepole Trail yesterday (1/15) and none of it was broken out. The north end of Old Mountain Road up to Mt Livermore is broken out. Lots of activity at the Mt Morgan and Rattlesnake trailheads so they should be in good shape.

sigh, we started late and opted to check in at Highland early, get an early dinner at Fabyan's and then watch the movie with the kids. (The Lorax) Willard was well packed out but getting across the open area between Shapleigh and the trailhead was cold and any path across was obliterated by the wind. 100_9081.jpg Not a cloud in the sky.