Day hike ideas in Colorado

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! Thanks so much for all the fantastic ideas! Maroon Bells was on our list of must see spots. Also the Conundrum Hot Springs sound like a nice place to soak. A question about Longs Peak: How sketchy is it. There are 2 non technical guys in my group that are very worried about falling off the mountain. I would rather not do this as a solo hike but it sounds like an adventure not to be missed! Any good watering holes (laid back crowds) in or around Aspen? Keep the ideas coming! This is great! :)

WOW! Thanks so much for all the fantastic ideas! Maroon Bells was on our list of must see spots. Also the Conundrum Hot Springs sound like a nice place to soak. A question about Longs Peak: How sketchy is it. There are 2 non technical guys in my group that are very worried about falling off the mountain. I would rather not do this as a solo hike but it sounds like an adventure not to be missed! Any good watering holes (laid back crowds) in or around Aspen? Keep the ideas coming! This is great! :)

I've heard things like...
"a bit harder than Huntington's, but the exposure lasts for much longer"
"do NOT be on the upper section when it's wet or icy because it becomes a dangerous slide"
"somebody falls off and dies every 5-10 years or so, but think about how many thousands of people safely do it"
"get to the Keyhole and re-assess how the group is doing"

Everything up until the top of the Trough is pretty mellow. There is one move at the top of the Trough that can be tough for shorter people (I am 6'3") as it requires a few handholds and some high foot placements. The Narrows is where it can really get you. There are some pretty steep drop offs. There was one place where you had to lean out and reach around to get a handhold and with one wrong move it would be bad news. Another spot was tough with a backpack on, as I had to climb up, then squirm on my side to a place where I could stand up comfortably. The Homestretch looks more daunting than it is. I wouldn't want to slip as it is a long ways down, but I wouldn't say it is anymore difficult than climbing up the north slide of the Tripyramids, assuming you climb up the middle of the slide and stay away from the trees.

Unprepared idiots climb that peak all the time, just like Mount Washington. I would suggest go as far as they feel comfortable. It doesn't get "nerve racking" until you stand at the top of the Trough and look ahead to the Narrows, then the knees may start to shake a little. I can't compare it to Huntington Ravine since I haven't done it. Stay away if it has rained, or threatens to rain, as parts of the Homestretch are polished nicely (similar to the chimney sections of Old Bridal Path.) The week after I climbed it some guy fell off the Narrows due to ice (first week in August) and it took them a couple of days to get the body off the mountain.

Here is a link to the blog about my hike: http://awilbur77.blogspot.com/2013/08/longs-peak-truly-special-day-in.html
The guy I hiked with wrote the blog. Some other suggestions would be to wear a helmet once you pass through the Keyhole and hike during the week, like we did, so you can have the mountain almost to yourself. I wouldn't want to get stuck in a mule train coming down off the mountain when the weather decides to turn.

Longs Peak is awesome hike! Nothing compares to it in the Whites regardless of how many people climb it.

Going to Colorado for a week this summer and would like to hit a bunch of day hikes near Aspen and in RMNP. Looking to get big views, maybe a hot spring, and some decent roadside camping. Any ideas of some great hikes in that area would be appriciated! :)

I would by far recommend going to Marble colorado, and taking the high road into Crystal and the low road out. The high road will allow you to scope peaks and routes on your way in, and you can also camp with the car up VERY high and use it as a basecamp to go to sub peaks near snowmass. Crystal is quiet and hidden, and surrounded by monsters with no pay forest access and car camp at will. If your dayhining though, dont really expect to get in big peaks easily or safely. Be content with just getting some height. Approaches are different and can be hard. many people dont account for the wow factor in views and a newplace and it truly makes the miles a little longer and more exasperating because your brain is digesting alot.Its also alot more off trail work and what trails exist tend to fan out as they get up high, so BRING USGS TOPOS. Yo need them anyways for terrain features. Out there, a national geographic map can walk you into a serious predicament, like a huge cliff with a 5 hour walk around.Yule Lakes is also a good, but long hike in thtat area.
Thats close enough to the airport that your good with time and have western slope amenities in carbondale area. I would also highly recommend, the Ruby Range and access it from the south end at Gunnison by the beaver pond. Ruby Peak is not exactly dayhike material though unless your in outstanding shape and leave early. but you can get up high and see what its all about. If you can, go to Democrat Basin via west part of crested butte. It is spectacular and highly doable.
I would NOT recommend going anywhere into the holy cross wilderness area or anywhere near the mount of the holy cross.
The San Juans are far superior to everywhere I mentioned but they are not a good place to go if your only there a week unless you fly into Durango. Stay away from Pagosa springs. I recommend either going back to Co for the San Juans, or considering it, becasue the San juans make rocky mountain NP look like an amusement park. have fun!!! if you do go to the San Juans instead, then go dayhike wilson Peak area(not summit) from the north by telluride, and engineer mountain.

Last edited:
Did Mt of Holy Cross 2 years ago. Nice hike, great views, lots of vertical, but even with 2 other hikers, it was VERY creepy. Many stories about hikers disappearing on trail never to be seen again. Even local bars and eq shops willing to expand on that, etc. Googled, and is true. How adventurous are you?

I have spent a lot of time hiking/running in Colorado. Have climbed Holy Cross twice and never heard of these stories. :confused: Nor did I ever feel creeped out. On the summit ridge my partner and I experienced a PR for electricity, but that could have happened on any peak/ridge that time of year. Anyway, it's close to neither RMNP nor Aspen so is a rather moot point WRT the original poster's request. (Otherwise I'd be another singing the praises of the San Juans...)

My favorite hike near Aspen is the "Four Passes Loop" which circumnavigates the Maroon Bells. The four passes are West Maroon, Frigid Air, Trail Rider, and Buckskin. It's about 28 miles and can be done in a day by a strong party, comparable to the Pemi Loop but a lot smoother trail. Check snow conditions if early-mid summer (an ice axe may be useful in spots). Many people backpack it over 3-4 days.

If you're looking to do 14ers, the Bells, Pyramid, Snowmass, and Capitol Peak are pretty gnarly, Class 3 & 4 hikes which your non-technical friends probably would not enjoy. Castle-Conundrum are the mellowest 14ers in the Aspen area. Fortunately, lower elevation options abound.

If you're spending much time hanging out in Estes Park and Aspen, plan on spending some $$$. Personally Leadville, about halfway between the two, is more my style. :D Have fun!