Moosilauke, 2/15/2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
February 15, 2014: Moosilauke

Trails: Beaver Brook Trail

Summits: Moosilauke

Hikers: Jessica Davis, Angelina MacDonald, Rudy Bourget, and me

A mid-week storm came through and left up to roughly fifteen inches of new snow in the area. Our plan included enough time to allow for breaking out the trail. When we arrived at the trailhead there was only one other vehicle there and it appeared to belong to a couple that may have only stopped to look at the scenery. While we were taking care of final hike preparation another vehicle with four hikers pulled in. We were on-trail and on our way well before the others but I was sure they would pass us eventually. All of us were on snowshoes and stayed with the snowshoes for the full hike.

We started the task of breaking out Beaver Brook Trail. There was plenty of snow, probably not as much as had been reported but still plenty of snow. We moved along at a slow and steady pace with Rudy out front to start. We were working with a fifty step rotation. Jessica was next. Eventually she stepped to the side and I was in the lead. I can’t recall Angelina in the lead but she must have been there; she started ahead of me. We were approaching the second bridge when the group of four that was at the trailhead came through. There were cordial greetings back and forth and they kept chugging along; two women in the lead and two guys following.

They took a great amount of the pressure off but we still had a very steep trail with lots of loose snow over ice to work with. It was going to be a long day, but we all knew that from the start. We made our way past the warning sign at the bottom of the cascades and started the climb. Slowly, one steep pitch after another, we made our way up. There were a few places where it was necessary to work with hands and feet to make progress up the icy trail.

Along the way a solo hiker passed, and then another hiker on snowshoes came up from behind. We offered to let him pass but he said there were two hiking companions a short distance back and decided to stay behind. Eventually, he also decided to continue past. On his way by he commented about his hiking companions were bare booting and postholing the trail. On one of our stops a short distance below the shelter spur one of the others came up from behind and was indeed postholing the trail. Unfortunately, what was turning into a great snowshoe track was being ruined.

Progress was steady but slow; 2.5 hours after leaving the trailhead we made it to the Beaver Brook Shelter spur. That location is the point where the steepness of the trail moderates and we were making our final approach to the junction with Asquam Ridge Trail. The toughest part of the day was behind us. We reached the trail junction, made a short stop, and were soon on our way. In terms of distance, we were working on the second half of the climb; but we were way past halfway in terms of elevation.

On our way through the upper part of the climb to the ridge I started to get hit with leg cramps. They are really unpleasant and I worked to limit the force in my steps which was causing the cramping. First it was just my right thigh but eventually the left one joined in. As we approached Mt. Blue there was a short discussion about possibly bailing on the hike. While that was a very unattractive choice it might be necessary. I wanted to at least make it to the col between Mt. Blue and Moosilauke expecting some really great scenery there.

We all continued, I did the best I could, and the others were patient with me. Eventually we made it to the col, I got some pictures that I wanted, and we continued. Taking a less aggressive approach seemed to help a lot; a gel pack and some shot blocks also seemed to help. Before long we were approaching the junction with Benton Trail, and we all cruised past the trail sign without ever noticing. Soon we were at the alpine vegetation sign and I knew we had nearly reached the treeline. It won’t be long from here.

The group of hikers that had passed us below the cascades was descending from the summit and it seemed they met up with a few friends. I believe there were eight to ten in the group now. There were again some cordial comments and we all continued on our way. Above the treeline was clouded in and we had roughly ~200 feet of visibility. Limited visibility and filtered sunlight made for interesting scenery. I think we all took time to get a few pictures along the final approach to the summit.

There was a small crowd of hikers and skiers at the summit having approached from various directions. When we got our chance at the sign post we all got together for a couple group shots and were soon on our exit hike.

We headed north from the summit on Beaver Brook Trail reversing our route coming in. Once we got below the treeline we had a terrific snowshoe track to enjoy. At least ten sets of snowshoes including ours ascended the trail and at least ten had descended ahead of us. The run back to the trailhead was shaping up to be a terrific descent.

Then, it happened. We came to the point where the bare booters decided they had reached their limit and turned around. It was a short distance below the junction with Benton Trail. It appeared the others on snowshoes descended ahead of the bare booters since there was no sign of fresh snowshoe tracks on the trail, just endless postholes. What a miserable trail we suddenly had to follow. It was not only unpleasant but also very dangerous. A twisted ankle, or worse, could easily happen. I’m sure the others had not considered the possible personal injury they were causing with their inconsiderate behavior. It would have been better all around if this three-some had decided to bare boot a mall for the day.

Sometimes, all you can do is take what you get and make the best of it. That’s what we did; Rudy was in front for a while, then Jessica spent some time out there, and then I had my turn in the lead attacking the postholes. It should have been an easy snowshoe cruise back to the trailhead. Instead, there was tension in every step trying to avoid a twisted ankle, and to smooth the trail as much as possible along the way.

By the time we reached the trail junction with Asquam Ridge Trail it was time for a quick break; some refreshment, water, and prepare for the steep descent along the cascades. The conditions we had just made our way through made me wonder what was waiting for us on the descent.

The steepness of the trail along the cascades made the roughness caused by the bare booters a secondary concern. We had plenty of loose snow on top of a hard trail and in places well hidden ice. There was plenty of sliding on our snowshoes and our butts to go around. We carefully made our way down past the shelter spur and on to the base of the cascades. Before long we were passing the lower warning sign and the tough part of the day was done. From there it’s a couple small bridges and a short ~.2 to the trailhead.

We reached the trailhead at ~150% of book time (roughly what I was expecting for the day). Loading our things into the back and preparing to leave didn’t take long. Soon we were on our way first to Lincoln and then on the highway south.

Thanks to Jessica, Angelina, and Rudy for a terrific day on Moosilauke. I really hope we all get together again soon. It was a tough day but a fun day as well.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:cool:

Nice report Earl. I always hear that the "standard winter route" to Moosilauke is via Glencliff trail. Have you taken this approach in winter, and if so, what is it about the Beaver Brook approach that you like better? It seems like the steepness would slow you down more than Glencliff, even though it's a bit less elevation gain and mileage than Glencliff. Just curious...I haven't been on the Beaver Brook trail in any season, though I'd like to try it, but would probably not choose winter as my first time trying it. ;)

Nice report Earl. I always hear that the "standard winter route" to Moosilauke is via Glencliff trail. Have you taken this approach in winter, and if so, what is it about the Beaver Brook approach that you like better? It seems like the steepness would slow you down more than Glencliff, even though it's a bit less elevation gain and mileage than Glencliff. Just curious...I haven't been on the Beaver Brook trail in any season, though I'd like to try it, but would probably not choose winter as my first time trying it. ;)

Thanks Bob,

As you indicated, there is very little difference between the two approaches in terms of distance and elevation. I’ve used both approaches a number of times in all seasons including winter and have enjoyed both approaches. There were a couple reasons why I was more interested in the Beaver Brook approach on this hike.

1. Wind. The weather professionals were predicting a westerly wind of 25 – 35 MPH above 2500 feet shifting to south in the afternoon. Beaver Brook would be sheltered from it almost all of the way to the treeline. By the time we reached the treeline we would be ascending the north slope and somewhat sheltered from the southerly shift. I was thinking this approach would be more comfortable and require less in terms of layers and additional protection.

2. After a fresh snowfall there is some terrific scenery in the col between Mt. Blue and Moosilauke. Even if there are no distance views to enjoy from the exposed summit, and there were none on this hike, the scenery in the col is worth the trip. I’ve seen it before and I wanted to see it again. Some pictures are posted of the area.

Some folks don’t enjoy the steepness of this trail and other similar trails and will seek an alternate route. With the proper gear there is little difference between Beaver Brook and Ammonoosuc Ravine (as you know, some folks prefer Jewell). The way I see it, just put on the proper footwear and climb. In my view there is only one place that is difficult in winter and a winter bypass is broken out for it.

The decision received some sanity checking early. When we all met at the Park & Ride there were a couple young guys also meeting there and headed for Glencliff. I must say it was tempting to head in that direction knowing a couple young guns were up front opening the trail for us. Even knowing that we continued to Beaver Brook.

;)