Thread: Camping Between Marcy Dam and Indian Falls

Camping Between Marcy Dam and Indian Falls

Any one know if thier are designated or otherwise legal sites between Marcy Dam and Indian Falls on the Mt Van Hoevenberg Trail (61)?

IF NOT

Answer this,

Were you trying to get to the Feldspar Lean-To this weekend would you go through Avalanche Pass, then on the east side Lake Colden (68) and then up to Fledspar Lean-To via Calamity Brook Trail (121)

OR

Would you go up the trail that goes past Lake Arnonld and down to Feldspar (73)?

Just wondering, the latter is shorter by a mile or so, but the former does not go up and over a hump.

(numbers are from the ADK guide book)

Thanks

REV-T

There are at least two designated camping areas on the Van Hoevenberg trail past Marcy Dam and before the turn off to Phelps trail. One is at the high water bridge which has tent markers if you look straight ahead while standing on the bridge. The second is approximately half way between the bridge and the turn off for Phelps. There is a lone tent marker on the tree. This camp area has good sites and a privy.

When I go to the Feldspar lean-to, I use the trails past Avalanche #2 and turn left up past Lake Arnold, then down to Feldspar. The hump is not all that bad and the secenery is great if you have views. I was just there on this route in January when I day hiked Skylight and Gray Peak.

Thanks

Thanks,

That was just what i was looking for. I think I will go for the up and over route. It will get me much closer to Marcy on Sunday Morning. Looks like the weather may be good this weekend. The weather in Rochester SUCKS right now, actually most of the winter.

Peace

Rev. T

Upper Works

You might even want to hike in from the Upper Works Trailhead to the Flowed Lands. I find this route much easier

ADAM
    "undefined Wilderness areas are first of all a series of sanctuaries for the primitive arts of wilderness travel, especially canoeing and packing.
    -Aldo Leopold

Hiking Pictures

More Hiking Pictures

Guinness:

How long did it take you to day hike Skylight and Gray? How were the trails when you did them (especially Gray)? Thanks,

Hikerdad,

I have a complete trip report here. To summarize, the trails were great all the way from the Loj. Gray had a couple of iced sections which you should careful of. My time was 11+ hours Loj-to-Loj. I'm not the fastest, just an old pack horse.

Guinness:

Thanks for the trip report....how bad was it with just snowshoes?...I don't have crampons....Thanks,

HikerDad, I did the entire trip with only snowshoes. The two ice sections on Gray were done with just snowshoes. One the descent you must be more careful. Take Care - Ed