Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Hill Bushwhack And Isolation In Winter

Too much to read through to see if this was mentioned already. I've been in there in winter and non-winter. It's pretty easy. First, you head in at the height of land on the RBT. Head up to the 32 -3300' contour and go on a compass heading of NNW or roughly 330*. That will get back to the RBT, through mostly open glades, a little before the last crossing which is usually easy to cross because it fairly narrow that high up. You may hit some small stands of spruce but not thick. Easy to just stay on your heading.

Edit: I was just in there this fall. The tree that had the "T" carved in it at the height of land is still there but the "T" was sort of hidden and the herd path was brushed in. I saw no flagging, which is a good thing. But imagine the further we get into winter, more and more will show up.

One last thing that I'm not sure if it was answered. I've always wondered how it got named the "Engine Hill Whack" I would have called it the "Rocky Branch Whack" since it's the western flanks of Rocky Branch Ridge you're bushwhacking through.

Last edited by JustJoe; 11-17-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    Joe

Definitely is not a track just a set of directions.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Definitely is not a track just a set of directions.
    If you are referring to my answer, you are correct. I saw a few shared tracks, so I was merely trying to convey that fact that this is an easy bushwhack if you have the basic information.
    Joe

Sorry I was referring to prior post from the Sikes.

Engine Hill refers to the logging era. There is an old railroad bed that runs up Rocky Branch to where Rocky Branch made the brook crossing. There is actually small old foundation up east of the height of land on RBT. On occasion loggers would log the opposite side of slope by installing a donkey engine at the top of the slope and drag logs up the slope and then dump them down to the other side of the slope to be hauled out via the haul road. Sometimes they owned the land on the other side of the slope and sometimes not
    Last edited by peakbagger; 11-17-2019 at 02:03 PM.

I've seen a complete wood stove on the Engine Hill side.
    Joe