Trail Adopting 2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giff

Reaction score
This is my annual appeal looking for trail adopters for the Pemi District in the WMNF.
The trails listed below are orphaned and would love to be adopted

Trail Name Length
3 Ponds 2.6
Donkey Hill Cutoff 1.0
Guinea Pond 2.2
Lincoln Woods 3.0
Lincoln Woods Int 0.3
Mt. Kineo 3.2
Wilderness 3.5
Nancy Pond 3.0
Smarts Brook 5.0
3 Ponds 2.0
Tri-town 1.1
Yellow Jacket 1.2
Pine Flats 0.8
Peaked Hill Pond 2.3
Old Skidder Rd 1.8
Hubbard Br 2.2
Jericho Road 3.3
Basin Cascade 1.0
East Pond 5.0
Little East Pond 1.7
East Pond Connector 1.7
Jewell Spur 0.4
Boundary Line 0.7

If you would be interesting in adopting or would just like to know more about the program. Please contact me at
[email protected]

Guess we should count our blessings up in the Mahoosuc Region (AMC)...I believe all the trails are adopted up this way....that's a good number of trails you have and most of them do need some TLC...hope you get a good response!!!

I've signed up for the Lincoln Woods trail--should be fun! This is my first time as a trail adopter, so I will look forward to learning from others on techniques and best practices. Can't wait!

--Carla

I've signed up for the Lincoln Woods trail--should be fun! This is my first time as a trail adopter, so I will look forward to learning from others on techniques and best practices. Can't wait!

--Carla

Thank you! Giff and the Forest Service provide a training workshop that I attended last year. It was great to meet the other trail adopters and get a refresher on trail maintenance techniques.

Just wanted to throw out my support for trail adopting. I adopted a trail 3-4 years ago and it has been an absolute pleasure to take care of. I cannot stress enough how rewarding it is. It's sort of like going to the woods with a charitable purpose.

Urge you to give it a try and if you don't enjoy it you can easily drop it.

(CPA hat on) Also - the mileage to the trailhead and any tools you buy are tax deductible on Schedule A of your IRS 1040 (assuming you "itemize")

Last edited:
Yes, I think it will be fun, and a kick! I figure I'm up there enough anyway, I may as well add another purpose, and give back a bit. Will go to training soon.

And I even added this to my sig file--fun! :)

I'll add some encouragement as well.

I adopted Ammo Ravine four years ago and have enjoyed seeing it getting into better shape each year. I should finally be able to update blazing this year. It's hard work some days, but it's nice to do and it's a very different perspective being on trail in one place for long periods of time. I got a sense for how many people take Ammo Ravine last year when I was doing trail work on July 4.

I'd also encourage anyone to do it.

Back in the day, it was suggested to me that maintaining a trail was a great way to give back for all the enjoyment of hiking. I have been a trail maintainer for 20 years. Thanks to Giff and everyone else who does this volunteer work.

The AMC and the FS work together to protect the trails. More info about AMC trail adoption can be found here: https://www.outdoors.org/conservation/trails/volunteer/adopt/

Any takers for the Davis Path from Isolation to Mt. Davis?? :eek:

Agreed. Doing trail work is rewarding, and it does offer an interesting perspective on the trails as well. You start to look at different parts of the trail from the sustainability perspective, not just a 'is there a way through' view. I'd recommend it to anyone who regularly uses the trails.

This will be my 14th year on my trail section and I find a great sense of accomplishment and of doing good work every time I go out.