Mt Isolation via... (see post for trails) - 3/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: March 6, 2014

Trails: Rocky Branch Trail, Engine Hill Bushwhack, Mt Isolation Trail, Davis Path, Spur

Trail Conditions: All trails (and the bushwhack) were very well packed. The bushwhack is the primary trail. There is one giant blowdown on Rocky Branch Trail but it was otherwise clear and easy going as I recall. There are a few more blowdowns, mostly on the Mt Isolation Trail but nothing that was difficult to get under, around. Same for Davis Path. The trail sign at the Davis/Isolation junction is gone it seems. I didn't see it. The Engine Hill Bushwhack was terrific albeit at a somewhat higher contour than I remember from the last time I was on it. The glades are quite the sight; I would have skied them today, for better or worse. All crossings were bridged and firm, though do cross with care.

Special Equipment Used: We brought trekking poles, crampons, and light traction. We used all but the crampons. Eye protection wouldn't be a bad idea since the snow depth has caused the corridor to become somewhat brushed in.

Comments: Hiked this one with Bill Robichaud. It was the winter 48th for both of us. Amazing day to be on any mountain.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
North Conway NH

Last edited: