which Spikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if looking to buy just one pair i'd say the kahtoolas are the best all around for mixed snow and rock with bare ground mixed in, but the hillsounds are much better if you are looking at more sustained ice. come shoulder season i now carry both.

bryan

I've been happy with the Kahtoola's as a micro option. Not too heavy and easy to attach to my packs. Depending on the trip, will also bring crampons.

I own the Kahtoola Microspikes. They work great. I've also checked out the Hillsound spikes and they look like they will work great. I haven't used them so I can't say for sure. I've been told they have had past problems with quality control. Not sure if this is hearsay or not.

Dave

I've only used Kahtoola's but I absolutely love them. Extremely durable - fit snug - perform very well!

Another Kahtoolas vote. They are very rugged and do not clump/snowball as easy as Hillsounds. IMO

I bought a "knock-off" pair of spikes from China (literally) out of curiousity and of course they were actually worse than I predicted. Sub par components, softer steel, and the rubber was some thin poor grade material.

They were $18 on Ebay so I figured I would try them for moderate conditions. They lasted two outings on Pawtuckaway before the rubber attachment area broke.

No real surprise there...

Z :D

I really liked my Hillsound Trail Crampons but had some serious issues with ice balls forming as the afternoon snow softened today on Carter Dome. I took one off to wham the ball off with my hiking pole. Within the next half mile, it happened again causing a trip and slide off trail. I lost the crampon and left it behind! Passed 2 other hikers today wearing Microspikes. Wish I'd brought mine. That said, in cold snow conditions they work great and have superior traction.