Davis path

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
I'm planning to do the Dvais path this summer June or August. Has anyone done this path and has pics or websites they can recommend? Is Resolution Shelter exsist still? Is it worth doing? I've heard its very wooded out there.
Thanks for all your help.

Here's a trip report from a long time ago. Resolution Shelter is still there, but not exactly thriving. I much prefer the designated wilderness area campsites along the way. The one on top of Mt Stairs is particularly nice.

In recent years the trail has been cleared much more aggressively, and you can now actually walk the length of the trail without constantly getting brushed back by foliage. It's a nice hike, with some suprisingly nice views.

-dave-

I did it many years ('95?) ago. Stayed at Resolution shelter the second night. Langdon shelter the first. Took Mt Langdon trail to Resolution and then up Davis till we got to the Isolation trail (East) and camped there. I don't ever remember seeing a tenting designation at Stairs but it was obvious that there were several excellant camping spots with really nice views. Resolution had a pit toliet with a box that I wouldn't trust and should have been closed years earlier. I remember the walk from stairs to Isolation east as a living hell. Long, very hot and humid with plenty of pointless ups and downs with a heavy full pack and very closed in with vegetation and a scorching sun. Got very sick on that part of the hike. Had a terrible time finding water after Resolution. All in all one of the worst trips I had ever done.

I am still looking forward to doing it again sometime. :eek: :D Like Dave said. I have also heard that the trail has been cleared up a little. Really liked the isolation of the trail but am not sure I would do it in August again.

Keith

I day hiked the Davis Path from Rte 302 to Mt Stairs this fall. No problems. Resolution Shelter is still there--not in the best of shape. Nice views from side trips to Mt Crawford and Mt Parker. The wilderness campsite on top of Mt Stairs looks nice, but you will have to go a ways for water. Also not a good place to be if there are thunderstorms around.

Doug

I typically dayhike the Davis Path at least once a year (have also done most of it in winter) and I have to agree with DougPaul about the lack of water in the summer. The only reliable place to get H2O along the trail is just below the Resolution Shelter.

I also recommend doing ALL of the peaks along the way (Crawford, Resolution, Stairs, Davis, and Isolation). The least scenic is Stairs, but they are all well worth the minuscule extra effort to get to the summits. The hike is mostly wooded, BUT all of the summits are bare except for Stairs, which makes this hike quite scenic. It is also well brushed out (compared to a few years ago when it was more like a herd path than a maintained trail), and generally easy to follow (except in winter).

The other benefit of doing this trail is that you will see very few people...