Franconia Ridge - N. Lafayette to Flume

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflea

Reaction score
Peaks: North Lafayette, Lafayette, Truman, Lincoln, Little Haystack, Liberty, Flume, Liberty

Route: Skookumchuck, Garfield Ridge, Franconia Ridge, & Liberty Spring Trails, bushwhack, Franconia Notch Bike Path

Date: Monday, 3/10/14

Equipment: I wore snowshoes most of the day.

Conditions: Everything was broken out.

Comments: Today was supposed to be Owls Head, but when I got to the Franconia exits I didn’t feel like driving any farther (I come from the northwest - Vermont). Skookumchuck and Franconia Ridge it would be!

All trails were broken out nicely. Upon hitting treeline and Garfield Ridge Trail, visibility was about “three cairns.” Winds were slight and the temps were moderate, so I decided the Ridge was a go. There was enough snow up there that I just kept my snowshoes on for the entire ridge. Things did get boney at times, but it was the right choice for me. On Lafayette visibility went down to “two cairns,” but route finding was never in question.

The tree’d portions of Franconia Ridge could use a trimming. I went to Flume, then back to Liberty and down Liberty Spring Trail. Saw some fresh bootprints but didn’t see another soul all day.

At the left turn just below the junction with Flume Slide Trail, I followed a broken out track straight to the bike path and from there to the northbound Basin parking. (This saved over a mile of bike path.) Took a nice break there before beginning the schlep back up the bike path all the way to Skookumchuck trailhead. It’s a good thing I like to walk because it was a long freaking way. :D The dozen or so snowmobilers I met and the goofy signs on the bike path provided entertaining diversion.

Glad I did this route but probably won’t do it again anytime soon!