Bond Cliff, Bond, W. Bond from Lincoln Woods (3/18/14)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: (1) Lincoln Woods: Hard packed (bare bootable but I used micro spikes). (2) Bond Cliff trail to the short scramble just below Bond Cliff: Hard packed well defined, narrow, but soft and deep just off trail. Changed from spikes to shoes when I punched through an edge half way up. All crossings bridged or easy rock hops. 4 duck-under crawl under blow-downs. (3) Bond cliff to start of South ascent of Bond: Wind packed snow too boney for shoes– bare booted until base of Bond. (4) Up and over Bond: Wind blown trail. Sections well defined then disappeared completely. Going up Bond there is a false trail that leads to a spruce trap field. Stay right (east) at any fork in the trail. (4) West bond Spur. Well defined. Seemed to have more recent traffic than Bond (from Twins ?)

Special Equipment Required: Beyond Bond Cliff snowshoes a must. Could probably bare boot to Bond Cliff but I used microspikes and shoes. Poles not much use on these trails (too narrow and soft deep on sides) but needed for probing for trail where it was blown over.

Comments: What a great day to own the Bonds all to myself. Clear blue skies, no wind. A 23 mile, 19 hour in-and-out hike for me, plus 3-4 hours of driving on both ends. But the views were worth it. I was able to pull my gear on a pulk from Lincoln woods up to the 1st black brook crossing 5+miles each way :D. Never saw another human the whole hike (0430-2330). My 25/48 NHW4k. (14 this season). I am a shameless list peak bagger, but I will repeat this one:) .