Microspikes vs. Crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus you can get an interesting mental exercise out of this. When you wearing crampons on mixed terrain, naturally you will try to step on ice and snow where it's available, and avoid rock and dirt. Then, when the ice coverage drops to a point where you remove the crampons, you have to reverse your mindset, and step preferentially on the rock and dirt. You get used to the change pretty fast, but it's definitely a mental exercise for the first several steps.

(Quote from old Star Trek: "Touching an opponent's color deprives a contestant of one weapon." I usually trot this out when we make the footwear change - resulting in a trekking pole beating from my wife.)

Plus you can get an interesting mental exercise out of this. When you wearing crampons on mixed terrain, naturally you will try to step on ice and snow where it's available, and avoid rock and dirt. Then, when the ice coverage drops to a point where you remove the crampons, you have to reverse your mindset, and step preferentially on the rock and dirt. You get used to the change pretty fast, but it's definitely a mental exercise for the first several steps.
I'd say the negative reinforcement can come pretty quickly if one does not adapt to the change in footwear... :)

Doug

(Quote from old Star Trek: "Touching an opponent's color deprives a contestant of one weapon." I usually trot this out when we make the footwear change - resulting in a trekking pole beating from my wife.)

320x240.jpg

Tim

Yeah, I've always noticed that too. But he's Kirk, so he can get away with that... :) Thanks for the nice image of Galt... :)

Yeah, I've always noticed that too. But he's Kirk, so he can get away with that... :) Thanks for the nice image of Galt... :)

We don't know whether the Providers would condone video review of questionable plays - but in this case, there was no challenge to Kirk's play -- so perhaps the rule not included in the preamble is that all's fair until challenged. But yeah, he's Kirk - which probably accounts for the lack of a challenge. And hey, he only went blue in an egregious manner twice. And he did give up his weapon once, as he threw it at (and skewered) an opponent...

Great to know there are others here with truly refined sensibilities beyond hiking - and that there are others besides me who will keep vigilant watch for mogatu as they venture past closely overhanging ledges...

Last edited:
I still don't have a pair of microspikes, preferring to stick with full time screwboots with carbide inserts for most terrain, Kahtoola steel crampons for moderate ice, and full crampons for super-icy days. The carbides are simply great on rock, and there is none of the tripping and catching that occurs with microspikes or crampons, much less any of the annoying snow-clumping that can also be quite dangerous if not noticed.

Kahtoola is now making "nanospikes," which are a low-profile carbide stud system with a "harness" similar to microspikes. I'm quite tempted for running, although I fear that pavement may rip the studs out, and even if they're dulled it looks like they may not be replaceable.

Kahtoola is now making "nanospikes," which are a low-profile carbide stud system with a "harness" similar to microspikes. I'm quite tempted for running, although I fear that pavement may rip the studs out, and even if they're dulled it looks like they may not be replaceable.

Nanospikes... hmmm - are you sure they aren't just selling worn down/used microspikes? ;)

I have both Kahtoolas and Hillsounds and find that the small spike plates work much better than the cleats on the chains. I inadvertently did a winter hike up Ammo to Washington over to Jefferson and back down Jewel one day with the Hillsounds. Its quite noticeable that I can walk up clear ice with the Hillsounds while I try to avoid it with the Kahtoolas.

OTOH, I have found the plate on the Hillsounds tends to cause ALL the points to shift on occasion. I've had that entire plate turn out from under my boot after snagging it on something. I'm probably going back to microspikes next time I need to purchase - the Hillsounds don't seem to fit my boots as well, and I've tried 3 sizes.

Tim

For me, it's Microspikes when a slip won't result in a dangerous slide, a potential injury or a long slide into something. I transition to Katoolah SS crampons when it's hard water ice or where a slip likely to end in injury. The teeth on MSs don't do a good job of penetrating hard ice and you don't need to look far to see people wearing MSs in places where I don't believe they should.

If the Nanospikes use similar carbides and bonding techniques that are used in other studded running shoes like the Icebug, it's probably a pretty durable setup. The Icebug studs will last many seasons provided you are not running on bare pavement! Not cheap, though - about $180.

I have Microspikes and crampons. As far as Microspikes go, great for some conditions, I find them to be unreliable on ice and quite honestly on trails like the Ammou, I'm not into them at all. Crampons, well I love them. I can walk over, up and down solid ice with no concern. Granted Im a mountaineer at heart and used to climb ice so, I'm comfortable wearing them. I need to replace my crampons and after some research will not go with the hillshounds. I'm not impressed with the construction to be frank and will proboly go with Peztel again and a semi-full on crampon. As a soloist, I just like the security and not having to pay attention to my feet.

I have Microspikes and crampons. As far as Microspikes go, great for some conditions, I find them to be unreliable on ice and quite honestly on trails like the Ammou, I'm not into them at all. Crampons, well I love them. I can walk over, up and down solid ice with no concern. Granted Im a mountaineer at heart and used to climb ice so, I'm comfortable wearing them. I need to replace my crampons and after some research will not go with the hillshounds. I'm not impressed with the construction to be frank and will proboly go with Peztel again and a semi-full on crampon. As a soloist, I just like the security and not having to pay attention to my feet.

There's one spot on Ammo a fraction of a mile below tree line where you arrive at the [frozen] stream and make a left to continue uphill along the stream. It's usually a solid blue and black ice flow, wherein carefully placed microspikes may be able to engage bumps and ruts in the ice, but don't stand a chance of penetrating the ice itself -- and where a slip would result in a slide and plunge down a long series of frozen waterfalls. I'll admit to gingerly doing the stretch once without changing to something sharper, but never again. It's amazing that we haven't heard of serious accidents there.

On that stretch, Hiilsound Trail Crampons (a bit nastier than MicroSpikes) worn by a compatriot were pretty surefooted. In a slip though, there's still not much recourse to the aforementioned slide and plunge. Full front-pointed crampons really make the most sense. Also with the Hillsounds, I've experienced the same sort of riding-around-the-foot that Tim reported, and haven't yet figured out what's going on.

For me, it's Microspikes when a slip won't result in a dangerous slide, a potential injury or a long slide into something. I transition to Katoolah SS crampons when it's hard water ice or where a slip likely to end in injury. The teeth on MSs don't do a good job of penetrating hard ice and you don't need to look far to see people wearing MSs in places where I don't believe they should.

Yeah.

Last edited:
When I first got micro-spikes I was very excited, I thought wow these are awesome. Sometime later descending Jackson's summit cone on solid ice, I took a nasty fall, bouncing down the slope. I thought I'd broke my leg, but was fine. I went back to crampons in icey terrrain. I still carry the spikes but only use them when there is little ice and mostly hard pack snow.