Lion Head via Tuckerman Ravine and Lion Head (winter route) Trails - 3/23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: March 23, 2014

Trail Conditions: All trails were roughly broken out. The Cat had been up Tucks, but it was chunky and somewhat unconsolidated. The Fire Road was pretty much the say way, not full width yet, though. Lion Head was the same way, loose and chunky though firm on the flatter lead in. But a bit loose on the steeps. I cut rough steps on the way down in places to aid my clients. It wasn't much better than the morning, but that's because crowds were unusually thin on this blustery day. The still-offers-some-rock "Hillary Step" had a temporary rope afixed, but it was gone by the time we returned. Skiers only on the Sherbie due to weather and unsafe conditions in the ravines (considerable avy danger in both).

Special Equipment Used: We brought trekking poles, ice axes, crampons, and rope. Needed it all.

Comments: Hiked this one as lead for my work. Another great trip but no summit. The winds and cold, with temps to decrease, made pressing on an unwise choice. It was pretty dangerous up there today. It was also getting close to our turnaround time due to a late start and somewhat slower pace. Great day on the mountain nonetheless.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
North Conway NH

Last edited: