Views from the Topper

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm considering a drastic alteration to my New Hampshire plans this weekend, and thinking about diverting to Vermont for the sole purpose of getting a case of Alchemist Heady Topper. I understand there are a few places in Stowe that will accommodate such a request.

I'm also thinking of making it a dual-purpose trip, and throwing in a hike: either Mansfield or Camel's Hump. I spend all my time in MA and NH, so the only mountain I've climbed in VT is Equinox. It's a good time to explore a VT 4k.

I'm curious if there is any advice to be offered to make the most of the trip. First, anyone familiar with the situation, will I actually find a case of beer? I've been told it's hard to find unless you show up within an hour of delivery. Second, any recommendations on the hike? I've heard good things about Camel's Hump.

Thanks much.

Camels Hump is a good choice. Be prepared for full-on mud season conditions to get to the winter trailheads. The trails themselves should be deep spring snow. A great loop is to take the Monroe Trail to the summit, traverse south on the Long Trail, and descend on the Dean Trail back to the Monroe Trail.

Mansfield might be better at another time of year. The road to Underhill State Park will probably be dicey ice and mud, and also crowded (never a good combination), and the Route 108 side will be busy with skiers.

Good luck with the Heady.

Mansfield and Camels Hump are both great, and both are likely to be pretty gnarly for the next couple months. As for the beer, you're not likely to find any in Stowe unless you have an "in" somewhere; your best bet is the brewery... Or better yet, just go to any old store and get a case of Long Trail Limbo IPA. Heady Topper is way overrated, IMHO. Another not-to-be-missed Vermont brewery is Rock Art!

your best bet is the brewery... Or better yet, just go to any old store and get a case of Long Trail Limbo IPA. Heady Topper is way overrated, IMHO. Another not-to-be-missed Vermont brewery is Rock Art!

The brewery no longer welcomes visitors. They closed their doors to the public in November as they simply couldn't accommodate all of the interest.

A few years ago, my wife took me on a "Beer and Ribs" tour up through NY, and down through VT. We stopped at tons of places with craft beer and awesome ribs. I agree with you that Heady Topper (while delicious) is one of many great beers that can be found. It's not like they invented the nectar of the Gods.

In Mass, anyone who sells Heady Topper gouges people. I've heard of $10 a beer, and one guy who requires you buy $100 worth of stuff from his store before he'll sell you 4.
I've had it, and it is a wonderful beer... but I could easily list 10 IPAs that are easy to get that I think are on-par or at least pretty close to Heady Topper.