Washington-Monroe 4/4/14. Up Ammo down Jewel

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yogi

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: Ammo was hard, flat and fast. Some ice but not what I expected. I wore crampons expecting ice, but microspikes would have been fine. Monroe loop is a mixture of ice, snow and rocks. Crawford to summit much the same with only occasional snowfields left. Most rocks are still filled in so it is quick going. All snow was soft but firm enough to support my weight so the shoes stayed on the pack all day. Gulfside and Jewel were mostly snow, flat and fast. Microspikes worked great on the way down but bare boots would be fine.

Special Equipment Required: Traction for the steeps on Ammo. Bear boots probably fine elsewhere.

Comments: Optional - What can I say....one in a million day on Washington. Blue skies, zero wind, temps in the high 20's maybe even 30’s? (total guess, but it was hot!). Biggest issue today was sunburn, and I got a good one. Very few people out. Only saw one person on Ammo and one on Gulfside, and a handful at the summit. Tucker was the only dog that I saw, and he had a blast!

Your name: Dave