Mt Washington via Tuckerman Ravine and Lion Head (winter route) Trails - 4/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: April 6, 2014

Trail Conditions: The Tuckerman Ravine Trail's lower half was hard packed and icy on the way in. Then the Cat came up behind us. After its passage the trail was loose and lumpy. It remained so for our return later. The Fire Road was in decent shape: not too hard, not too soft, just right. The Lion Head Trail was hardpacked and getting icy on the steeps (I was on it Friday and it was rocks and slush so I'm not sure what's better). Above the steeps and above treeline the surface on trail and off was very hard and off trail my weight was supported. This was great, especially when it came to descending the snow fields. Not so good for skiers (scraping sounds), though a few were out and about. The upper part of Tuck's to the summit was the same way.

Special Equipment Used: We brought trekking poles, ice axes, crampons, and rope.

Comments: Hiked this one as lead for my work (forth time in a week). It was a great day, albeit really windy -- though not bad enough to keep us away, especially with an improving trend. All in my group summited and we had a fun time. Great rime ice up there today.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
North Conway NH