Hiking SUgarloaf in Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowSeeker

Reaction score
Hi all, new member to the the forum here. Seems like a very helpful site. I hope to contribute all I can as well. I started hiking the 100 highest in winter last year and am now completely addicted.
My question for this weekend is the suggested winter route up Sugarloaf Maine. I'll be up doing an overnight to Snow Mountain on sat and sun with some other guys but want to do a hike then snowboard day at sugarloaf on Monday. Not sure if the trail up the ski slope side is hikable with all the skiers, or if the Appalachian Trail up the backside is accesible by car from the road to the north of the mountain. I would guess that road is not plowed however. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bryan

Bryan, if you check on the Trips and Events forum, under VFTT Spring Skiing, there's a mention that the CVR is plowed. Also, I've skied Sugarloaf a lot and I've seen snowshoers walking up the trails. If you stay over to the right, under the Bucksaw chair, there's a lot less traffic and no blind corners. Once you get to Bullwinkles, take Timberline all the way.

As Audrey says, West mountain, the Bucksaw chair, or the West Mountain chair is the place to hike up. You can park your car at the West Mountain lift. both routes up will bring you to Bullwinkles Resturant. Not much traffic over that way. Then Timberline to the top is a gentle way to get to the summit.

Last edited: