Interesting Article about the Cog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Not specific to hiking but it is one of the more conspicuous aspects of hiking Mt Washington.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20140406/NEWHAMPSHIRE0501/140409440/0/FRONTPAGE

It used to be when the Cog came up on VFTT there inevitably would be complaints about the pollution, I haven't seen any complaints about the lack of pollution.

Nothing really compared to getting a lung full of high sulfur cog smoke when hiking up the Jewell.

I would be curious if the long term environmental monitoring of the summit trends changed when the old cogs were phased out.

As one of the few here who loved the old engines, I'm glad they have found a more environmental alternative. My affection comes mainly from my childhood vacations in the region when I was unaware of the pollution and of the grass fires above treeline, and later because friends worked there. When in Colorado, Brian and I hiked Pikes Peak and after we were done, the next day took the train up. Not nearly as exciting a trip, though higher and a longer ride because the historic feel was lacking. Interesting story, and thanks, Peakbagger for posting it. Fascinating how Presby and company have been able to keep it going when others would have lost the needed momentum.

Neat article--thanks for sharing. What a cool job for the mechanically-inclined! Reminded me of M/S Mount Washington on Winnipesaukee. Years back we took my parents on the boat and my dad had a fine conversation with the captain about how they have to make many of their own parts for repair.

While I've always accepted the Cog as just part of the Mt. Wash experience, I can't say I'd ever want to ride it. I've hiked many of the more exposed trails in NE, but the cog? Too scary! :eek:

F&G and the S&R folks have had drills for major cog accidents in the past but they aren't advertised as such. I was told by one of the participants, that the drill scenario was for a airplane crash on that side of the mountain as there wasn't an interest in linking the term "crash" with the Cog.

Here's an ingesting forum discussion, including stories from a few people who were on the train:
http://nhtourguide.com/forums/showthread.php?548-1967-accident-on-the-Cog-Railway...

I was just a kid, but remember the event. A friend's mother was a nurse at Littleton; and the rescue and treatment were monumental.

For whatever it's worth, I don't think the Presbys and Bedors had anything to do with The Cog then. Wayne and Joel were just kids, in any event.