Ski touring out west

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has any experience but I figured I'd ask...

My wife and I are thinking about taking a trip to Utah at the end of the year (over xmas break).

Was wondering if anyone has been and knows anything about ski touring out there. We'd like to ski, but not downhill or mountain tours.

We'd ideally like to use our own boots and rent skis - most likely we'd fly.

Any info would be cool - I know it's early but it's something we need to budget for ahead of time.

Thanks,
Mike

Sorry - I meant Nordic BC Touring. It's easy to find info on Alpine Touring out there.

Most of the search info I've come up with is groomed xc skiing or AT.

roadtripper - yes - I've had the feelers out and I've got the same feedback about the snow. I guess that is a problem even in the mountains.

Any areas that might be more reliable that time of year? We aren't stuck on UT - I just happen to have seen some really cool slide shows of ski tours out there that time of year (I guess they got lucky with the snow).

Thanks Doug. That looks like an excellent option.

I'm thinking we'd probably go spring break 2015 (next week, next year - our options are xmax or spring break) - I'm guessing the snow sticks around a bit longer in Yellowstone?

Do you know if there are any yurts? Where does one stay?

I'm also hoping the grizzly bears are still asleep this time of year :)

Thanks Doug. That looks like an excellent option.

I'm thinking we'd probably go spring break 2015 (next week, next year - our options are xmax or spring break) - I'm guessing the snow sticks around a bit longer in Yellowstone?
Probably. XC skiing in Yellowstone is quite popular--you should be able to find info on the web or you could consult with the rangers or one of the commercial outfitters.

I don't know of any yurts--I think one stays in the usual accommodations. Don't know if camping is available. (I've never done it). I believe you can travel light and have a commercial outfit transport your gear for you. Or you can use commercial transportation to get in and out and do local day skiing.

Bears generally hibernate, but the buffalo are out all year...

Doug

I had a prof in undergrad who regularly ran week-long backcountry ski trips in Yellowstone in January. They pitched tents wherever they happened to stop. I'm not sure if that's changed with the whole snowmobile, er, obscenity.

The wolves are awake year-round, too (although less tempermental.)

I know this whole question is a bit out of context for this forum, but it's all outdoor recreation in the end. Anyway, I found this if anyone is interested:

http://www.yellowstoneexpeditions.com/

The timing isn't great for us but I'm actually thinking the price is reasonable considering it gives you food, shelter, and transport and allows you to ski the whole time and ski more than what you may be able to if you just drive to the park from a hotel.

I'm also a little leary on going over xmas because there is no guarantee of snow. Spring break is ideal but they've closed up shop by then and the roads start getting plowed out - so I'm not sure how accessible the park is by snowmobile then - they are only allowed on the roads and only by permitted drivers.

I'm going to see how much it would cost the other way and try to estimate how much I'd be able to ski.

The other place I've been thinking about is Tahoe:

http://www.backcountryskitours.com/

I know this whole question is a bit out of context for this forum, but it's all outdoor recreation in the end. Anyway, I found this if anyone is interested:

http://www.yellowstoneexpeditions.com/
I simply googled "yellowstone cross-country skiing" and got the NPS page as well as a whole host of commercial outfitters.

Doug

You might want to look at Yosemite as well. I have skied a bit there, but nothing really backcountry, so that may not be what you are looking for. I was there in February for three years in a row and there was snow up out of the Valley (Glacier Point Road). I skied down Glacier Point Road (they don't plow it in winter past the ski lodge parking lot) and camped for a couple of days off the road. Pretty tame stuff, but for a beginner skier and winter camper like me, especially going alone on my last couple of trips, it was a lot of fun. I towed a sled with most of my stuff on it.

You might want to look at Yosemite as well. I have skied a bit there, but nothing really backcountry, so that may not be what you are looking for. I was there in February for three years in a row and there was snow up out of the Valley (Glacier Point Road). I skied down Glacier Point Road (they don't plow it in winter past the ski lodge parking lot) and camped for a couple of days off the road. Pretty tame stuff, but for a beginner skier and winter camper like me, especially going alone on my last couple of trips, it was a lot of fun. I towed a sled with most of my stuff on it.

I've read about people doing the JMT in winter, but that looked pretty gnarly and involved some serious ski mountaineering.

This might be more like what you are looking for-
http://www.huts.org/
They have a bunch of huts in Colorado. Never been there, so no firsthand experience, but from what's on the website, looks pretty cool.

Yellowstone closes for the winter around mid-March as the snow starts to get soft, most notably on the roads which are used only by snow coaches and snowmobiles in winter. Whenever they open you can depend on snow because it is necessary to their operation in winter. There are three places to stay. Snow Lodge consists of a lodge next to the historic Old Faithful Inn, which is closed in winter, and cabins which are all within less than a half mile of the Lodge. I recommend these accomodations as there are plenty of nordic/backcountry ski opportunities and the scenery is spectacular. The snow coach drops off skiers at certain trailheads and they ski back to the Lodge. There is also an all day snow coach tour of Yellowstone which I recommend. You won't do any skiing or snowshoeing that day but you'll bareboot some places that will make memories for a lifetime.

There is a hotel at Mammoth, south of Bozeman/Livingston, MT, which is accessible by vehicle. In fact, on the north side of Yellowstone the road is maintained clear to Cook City, WY, past the northeast entrance as that is the only way into Cook City during the winter.

Some people stay in West Yellowstone and do day tours into the Park. I think the best bang for your buck is to stay at Snow Lodge.

There are some good nordic/backcountry ski routes in Jackson Hole, too. Consider a little time there in conjunction with Yellowstone.

There is plenty of wildlife up and about in Yellowstone winter. Bison are drawn to the hot springs where they can graze without digging in the snow. You'll have an excellent chance of seeing coyote and a possibility of wolves. I doubt grizzlies are up and around and are a negligible threat. Meanwhile, down in Jackson the elk congregate at the elk refuge and bighorn sheep make themselves at home there, too. Drive through the refuge and you'll probably enjoy a car wash by the sheep as they lick the road salt ... but they do a lousy job.

I can't think of a place I'd rather be in winter, aside from boating in the tropics, but then, we're quite partial to the area. If you've got your heart set on southern Utah, check out Cedar Breaks National Monument. It is of high enough elevation that snow is a bit more reliable than elsewhere. It is near Zion NP and accessed by Las Vegas.

Good to start planning early. The best destinations book up fast.